Current:Home > FinanceDeath toll from western Japan earthquakes rises to 126 -Capitatum
Death toll from western Japan earthquakes rises to 126
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 23:36:11
Aftershocks threatened to bury more homes and block roads crucial for relief shipments, as the death toll from the earthquakes that rattled Japan's western coastline this past week rose to 126 on Saturday.
Among the dead was a 5-year-old boy who had been recovering from injuries after boiling water spilled on him during Monday's 7.6 magnitude earthquake. His condition suddenly worsened and he died Friday, according to Ishikawa prefecture, the hardest-hit region.
Officials warned that roads, already cracked from the dozens of earthquakes that continue to shake the area, could collapse completely. That risk was growing with rain and snow expected overnight and Sunday.
The death toll on Saturday rose to 126. Wajima city has recorded the highest number of deaths with 69, followed by Suzu with 38. More than 500 people were injured, at least 27 of them seriously.
The temblors left roofs sitting haplessly on roads and everything beneath them crushed flat. Roads were warped like rubber. A fire turned a neighborhood in Wajima to ashes.
More than 200 people were still unaccounted for, although the number has fluctuated. Eleven people were reported trapped under two homes that collapsed in Anamizu.
In Western Japan, a 90-year-old woman was pulled alive from the rubble of a collapsed house late Saturday. The woman in Suzu city, Ishikawa Prefecture, had survived for more than five days after the quake that hit the area on Monday. Nationally broadcast news footage showed helmeted rescue workers covering the view of the area with blue plastic, but the woman was not visible.
For Shiro Kokuda, 76, the house in Wajima where he grew up was spared but a nearby temple went up in flames and he was still looking for his friends at evacuation centers.
"It's been really tough," he said.
Japan is one of the fastest-aging societies in the world. The population in Ishikawa and nearby areas has dwindled over the years. A fragile economy centered on crafts and tourism was now more imperiled than ever.
In an unusual gesture from nearby North Korea, leader Kim Jong Un sent a message of condolence to Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, the official Korean Central News Agency reported Saturday.
Japan earlier received messages expressing sympathy and promises of aid from President Joe Biden and other allies.
Japanese government spokesman Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters that Japan was grateful to all the messages, including the one from North Korea. Hayashi said the last time Japan received a condolence message from North Korea for a disaster was in 1995.
Along Japan's coastline, power was gradually being restored, but water supplies were still short. Emergency water systems were also damaged.
Thousands of troops were flying and trucking in water, food and medicine to the more than 30,000 people who had evacuated to auditoriums, schools and other facilities.
The nationally circulated Yomiuri newspaper reported that its aerial study had located more than 100 landslides in the area, and some were blocking lifeline roads.
The urgency of the rescue operations intensified as the days wore on. But some have clung to life, trapped under pillars and walls, and were freed.
"I hope the city recovers, and I hope people won't leave, and stay here to work hard toward recovery," said Seizo Shinbo, a seafood trader, who was stocking up on noodles, canned goods and rice balls at a supermarket.
"There is no food. There is no water. And the worst is gas. People are still in kilometer-long lines."
- In:
- Japan
- Earthquake
veryGood! (637)
Related
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Woman who left tiny puppies to die in plastic tote on Georgia road sentenced to prison
- Kathryn Crosby, actor and widow of famed singer and Oscar-winning actor Bing Crosby, dies at 90
- North Carolina’s governor vetoes private school vouchers and immigration enforcement orders
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Elle King says she didn't want 'to hurt' dad Rob Schneider after speaking 'her truth'
- Matt Damon Shares Insight Into Family’s Major Adjustment After Daughter’s College Milestone
- South Carolina to execute Freddie Owens despite questions over guilt. What to know
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Robinson will not appear at Trump’s North Carolina rally after report on alleged online comments
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Best used cars under $10,000: Sedans for car shoppers on a budget
- Gunfire outside a high school football game injures one and prompts a stadium evacuation
- Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers agree to three-year, $192.9M extension
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- David Beckham talks family, Victoria doc and how Leonardo DiCaprio helped him win an Emmy
- National Queso Day 2024: Try new spicy queso at QDOBA and get freebies, deals at restaurants
- A man is fatally shot by officers years after police tried to steer him away from crime
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Freddie Owens executed in South Carolina despite questions over guilt, mother's plea
NASCAR 2024 playoff standings: Who is in danger of elimination Saturday at Bristol?
Charlize Theron's Daughters Jackson and August Look So Tall in New Family Photo
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Secret Service report details communication failures preceding July assassination attempt on Trump
Golden Bachelorette Contestant Gil Ramirez Faced Restraining Order Just Days Before Filming
Angelina Jolie Reveals She and Daughter Vivienne Got Matching Tattoos