Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Ohio governor signs order barring minors from gender-affirming surgery as veto override looms -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Ohio governor signs order barring minors from gender-affirming surgery as veto override looms
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:33:25
COLUMBUS,NovaQuant Ohio (AP) — A week after vetoing legislation that would have banned all forms of gender-affirming care for minors in Ohio, Republican Gov. Mike DeWine signed an executive order Friday barring Ohioans from receiving transgender surgeries until they’re 18.
The bill passed by both chambers along party lines last year would have banned gender-affirming surgeries, as well as hormone therapies, and restricted mental health care for transgender individuals under 18. While DeWine’s order does ban such surgeries for minors, it does not put limits on hormone therapies or the type of mental health care minors can receive. It takes effect immediately.
“A week has gone by, and I still feel just as firmly as I did that day,” DeWine said, doubling down on his decision to veto the broader restrictions. “I believe the parents, not the government, should be making these crucial decisions for their children.”
In announcing his veto last week, the governor said medical professionals he consulted with told him such surgeries aren’t happening, anyway, and families with transgender children did not advocate for them.
“This will ensure that surgeries of this type on minors can never happen in Ohio,” DeWine said in Friday’s press conference, adding that the executive order takes the issue “off the table” and provides clear guidelines.
The move comes as an effort by the GOP-dominated Legislature to override DeWine’s veto looms next week. The Ohio House has scheduled a session where a vote is expected Wednesday, while the Ohio Senate will vote on Jan. 24.
DeWine said Friday that he has also directed the Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services to take action.
The departments filed proposed administrative rules Friday that would ensure both transgender children and adults are not receiving treatment from what he called “fly-by-night” clinics or providers outside of proper healthcare systems.
The proposal would mandate a team for transgender individuals seeking gender-affirming care that would consist of, at a minimum, an endocrinologist, a bioethicist and a psychiatrist.
As part of their care plan, transgender individuals also must provide “sufficient informed consent” for gender-affirming care after comprehensive and lengthy mental health counseling, under the rules. For minors, parents also would have to give informed consent.
Additionally, the departments must also collect data submitted by providers on gender dysphoria and subsequent treatment, and his plan calls for the agencies to inform lawmakers, policy makers and the public.
These rules, unlike the executive order, are not in effect immediately. However, both the proposed rules and executive order are subject to change even though the executive order is effective — due to an emergency order. They must still go through the rule-making process with several state panels, including lawmakers, and opportunity for public comment.
Even if the Legislature chooses to override the veto, DeWine said his administration will continue to pursue these rules and that he is working with his legal team to ensure that his administration can implement them.
“We’re doing this because we think it’s the right thing to do,” the governor said.
___
Samantha Hendrickson is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues
veryGood! (58)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- South Africa heading for ‘coalition country’ as partial election results have the ANC below 50%
- Photos: A visual look at the past seven weeks at Donald Trump’s hush money trial
- Maui Council budgets $300,000 to study impacts of eliminating 7,000 vacation rentals
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez Reunite at Family Event Amid Breakup Speculation
- National landmarks embody competing visions of America’s past | The Excerpt
- Dylan Sprouse reflects on filming 'The Duel' in Indianapolis during Indy 500 weekend
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard Gives Insight on Her Conversation With Kim Kardashian
Ranking
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Dramatic video shows Texas couple breaking windshield to save man whose truck was being swallowed in flooded ditch
- Go Ahead, Let This Guide to Clint Eastwood's Family Make Your Day
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Trump guilty verdict: 'Donald Trump's diaper is full'
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score last night? Fever routed at home by Storm
- Minneapolis police chief shares anger with fellow officers over ambush death of one of their own
- USA gymnastics championships: Brody Malone leads after first night for a major comeback
Recommendation
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
Severe weather continues in Texas with 243,000-plus still without power after recent storms
Master the Sunset Blush Trend: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Summer 2024's Hottest Makeup Look
Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade Shower Daughter Zaya With Love On Her 17th Birthday
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Mayoral hopeful's murder in Mexico captured on camera — the 23rd candidate killed before the elections
Former WWE employee suing Vince McMahon for sex trafficking pauses case for federal probe
'Courageous' Minneapolis officer remembered after fatal shooting; suspected shooter dead