Current:Home > StocksUConn students celebrate into the early morning after second consecutive title -Capitatum
UConn students celebrate into the early morning after second consecutive title
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 06:46:52
STORRS, Conn. (AP) — Some windows were broken and street signs taken down, but celebrations following UConn’s second consecutive men’s basketball championship were mostly peaceful, the school said Tuesday.
Thousands of students spilled onto campus following the 75-60 win over Purdue in the NCAA title game in Arizona and the celebrating lasted into the early morning hours.
Someone took a downed street sign and smashed it through part of the glass front of the student recreation center, school officials said. That section of the building was boarded up on Tuesday morning and the center’s opening was delayed, according to the school’s website.
At least five people were arrested across campus, but their identities and the charges were not immediately available, school spokesman Mike Enright said.
“On the whole, it was a very good night on the Storrs campus and the university looks forward to continuing to celebrate our phenomenal student-athletes, their coaches, and this incredible win,” he said in an email.
The school planned a welcome home celebration for 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, when the team is scheduled to return from Arizona.
Such festivities have become somewhat routine at UConn, which has earned six men’s basketball national championships and 11 women’s titles over the last 30 years. The school is 17-1 in NCAA basketball title games.
“You know, we’re coming back next year, “ UConn student Kevin Medina told WFSB-TV. ”We’re amazed. We’re all good times. It’s good to be a resident of Connecticut right now.”
Last year, 16 people were injured, 39 people were arrested and six students ended up being expelled following more widespread vandalism.
Precautions were in place Monday designed to prevent a repeat of that and no serious injuries were reported.
In advance of the Final Four, the school removed the aluminum light posts along Hillside Road, the main thoroughfare through the center of campus, and replaced them with temporary lighting.
The school also limited the size of the campus watch party. Only 6,700 students, all of whom won tickets to the event through a lottery, were allowed inside Gampel Pavilion, and they were seated in the upper bowl of the 10,000-capacity arena.
The general public was barred from the event and, unlike last year, no alcohol was sold or allowed inside, Enright said.
___
AP March Madness bracket: https://apnews.com/hub/ncaa-mens-bracket and coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/march-madness
veryGood! (11265)
Related
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- New airline rules will make it easier to get refunds for canceled flights. Here's what to know.
- Kansas’ governor vetoed tax cuts again over their costs. Some fellow Democrats backed it
- A hematoma is more than just a big bruise. Here's when they can be concerning.
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Trump will be in NY for the hush money trial while the Supreme Court hears his immunity case in DC
- Ryan Seacrest and Aubrey Paige Break Up After 3 Years
- TikTok has promised to sue over the potential US ban. What’s the legal outlook?
- 'Most Whopper
- Missouri House backs legal shield for weedkiller maker facing thousands of cancer-related lawsuits
Ranking
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Bear cub pulled from tree for selfie 'doing very well,' no charges filed in case
- Mississippi city settles lawsuit filed by family of man who died after police pulled him from car
- The Best Sunscreen Face Sprays That Are Easy to Apply and Won’t Ruin Your Makeup
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Bears unveil plan for lakefront stadium and seek public funding to make it happen
- Bill Belichick to join ESPN's 'ManningCast' as regular guest, according to report
- Judge orders anonymous jury for trial of self-exiled Chinese businessman, citing his past acts
Recommendation
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
Tiffany Haddish opens up about sobriety, celibacy five months after arrest on suspicion of DUI
Flint, Michigan, residents call on Biden to pay for decade-old federal failures in water crisis
8 years after the National Enquirer’s deal with Donald Trump, the iconic tabloid is limping badly
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Why Gwyneth Paltrow Is Having Nervous Breakdown Over This Milestone With Kids Apple and Moses
The Rolling Stones set to play New Orleans Jazz Fest 2024, opening Thursday
Taylor Swift's 'Tortured Poets' reaches 1 billion Spotify streams in five days