Current:Home > reviewsUN plans to cut number of refugees receiving cash aid in Lebanon by a third, citing funding cuts -Capitatum
UN plans to cut number of refugees receiving cash aid in Lebanon by a third, citing funding cuts
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 21:34:38
BEIRUT (AP) — Faced with an increasing funding crunch, the United Nations will cut the number of refugee families receiving cash assistance in Lebanon by nearly a third next year, a spokesperson for the U.N. refugee agency said Thursday.
Due to “significant funding reductions,” UNHCR and the World Food Program will give monthly cash aid to 88,000 fewer families in 2024 than in 2023, UNHCR spokeswoman Lisa Abou Khaled said.
About 190,000 families will continue receiving the assistance, which is capped at a monthly maximum of $125 per household, she said.
In the past, some families received extra assistance in the winter months for heating fuel expenses, but this year that program will also be halted, Abou Khaled said. That aid “was critical for vulnerable families to survive the winter season,” she said.
Lebanon, which has been in the throes of a severe financial crisis since 2019, hosts some 790,000 registered Syrian refugees and potentially hundreds of thousands more who are unregistered, the highest population of refugees per capita in the world. About 90% of Syrian refugees in the country are living below the extreme poverty line.
Syria’s uprising-turned civil war, now in its 13th year, has killed nearly half a million people, displaced half of its prewar population of 23 million and crippled infrastructure in both government and opposition-held areas.
Recent months have seen a substantial uptick of violence in the largely frozen conflict, but international attention has largely turned away from Syria to the conflict in Ukraine and now to the Israel-Hamas war.
UNHCR’s Lebanon office has only received funds to cover 36% of its annual budget so far this year, while at the same time last year it was 50% funded, Abou Khaled said. The office has already cut staff and reduced programs this year and may make further cuts in 2024, she said.
Earlier this year, the U.N. slashed assistance to Syrian refugees in Jordan, also citing funding shortfalls.
Since Lebanon’s economic meltdown began in 2019, officials have increasingly called for a mass return of Syrians, saying they are a burden on the country’s scarce resources and that much of Syria is now safe, while human rights organizations have cited cases of returning refugees being detained and tortured.
Over the past year, the Lebanese army has deported hundreds of Syrians. Many of those were intercepted while entering the country at illegal crossing points, but others were registered refugees who had been living in the country for years.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Appeals court upholds retired NYPD officer’s 10-year prison sentence for Capitol riot attack
- Papua New Guinea landslide killed more than 670 people, UN migration agency estimates
- A working group that emerged from a tragedy sets out to reform child welfare services
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- British equestrian rider Georgie Campbell dies from fall while competing at event in U.K.
- Father of North Carolina House Speaker Tim Moore dies at 75
- Horoscopes Today, May 26, 2024
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- You Need to Hear Kelly Ripa’s Daughter Lola Consuelos Cover Sabrina Carpenter’s “Espresso”
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Ángel Hernández’s retirement gives MLB one less pariah. That's not exactly a good thing.
- The 40 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought This Month: Bracelets, Garbage Disposal Cleaner & More
- AJ McLean Reveals Taylor Swift’s Sweet Encounter With His Daughter
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Federal investigation of former Ohio House speaker ends with no charges filed
- Judge weighs arguments in case seeking to disqualify ranked choice repeal measure from Alaska ballot
- Albert Ruddy, Oscar-winning producer of ‘The Godfather’ and ‘Million Dollar Baby,’ dies at 94
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Ashley White died patrolling alongside Special Forces in Afghanistan. The U.S. Army veteran was a pioneer for women soldiers.
How facial recognition technology is transforming travel efficiency and security
Poland rolls out plans for fortifications along its border with Russia and Belarus
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
Stars' Jason Robertson breaks slump with Game 3 hat trick in win against Oilers
NFL kicker Brandon McManus sued, accused of sexual assault on 2023 Jaguars flight
Retailers roll out summer deals for inflation-weary consumers. Here's where.