Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Prosecutors ask to effectively close case against top Italian, WHO officials over COVID-19 response -Capitatum
Indexbit-Prosecutors ask to effectively close case against top Italian, WHO officials over COVID-19 response
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 17:52:05
ROME (AP) — Rome prosecutors asked a judge Thursday to effectively close an investigation into Italian and IndexbitU.N. health officials over Italy’s 2020 Covid-19 response without charges, on the grounds that no crimes were committed, a lawyer said.
Rome prosecutors Claudia Terracina and Paolo Ielo asked to archive the investigation that had grabbed headlines given Italy’s huge toll as t he first epicenter of the pandemic in Europe. While the judge can override the request, such a decision is highly unlikely.
Already prosecutors had closed their case without filing charges against three of Italy’s past health ministers. On Thursday, they asked a judge to archive the case against nine other officials, including a former top official at the World Health Organization, Dr. Ranieri Guerra, said his lawyer Roberto De Vita.
The investigation initially focused on whether delayed lockdowns in the hard-hit northern city of Bergamo contributed to the toll, but expanded to include whether Italy’s overall preparedness going into the crisis played a role.
Included was controversy over a WHO report into Italy’s response that was published by the U.N. health agency in May 2020 and then taken down a day later and never republished.
A former WHO official, Francesco Zambon, had suggested that WHO spiked the report to spare the Italian government criticism that its pandemic preparedness plan hadn’t been updated. WHO said it was pulled because it contained inaccuracies and was published prematurely.
Guerra had been the former head of the department of prevention in the Italian health ministry until 2017 and was a WHO envoy to Italy during the pandemic. De Vita said prosecutors determined the pandemic plan was in the process of being updated.
He welcomed the decision to archive the case, saying it should have been closed two years ago as soon as Guerra provided documentation to prosecutors showing he had acted correctly.
In a statement, Guerra said his reputation had been “gravely” harmed by the controversy and lashed out at those who had accused him of not protecting Italy.
veryGood! (9419)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Virginia school boards must adhere to Gov. Youngkin’s new policies on transgender students, AG says
- Heidi Klum cheers on Golden Buzzer singer Lavender Darcangelo on 'AGT': 'I am so happy'
- New flame retardants found in breast milk years after similar chemicals were banned
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- 4 arrested in twin newborn Amber Alert case in Michigan; many questions remain unanswered
- Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani has UCL tear, won't pitch for rest of 2023 season
- Why a weak Ruble is good for Russia's budget but not Putin's image
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Former USC star Reggie Bush files defamation lawsuit against NCAA: It's about truth
Ranking
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- See you on Copacabana? Unusually balmy weather hits Brazil in a rare winter heat wave
- Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl jams with Taylor Hawkins cover band: Watch here
- AP WAS THERE: A 1953 CIA-led coup in Iran topples prime minister, cements shah’s power
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Russia's General Armageddon reportedly dismissed after vanishing in wake of Wagner uprising
- Slain Marine’s family plans to refile lawsuit accusing Alec Baldwin of defamation
- Reneé Rapp says she was body-shamed as the star of Broadway's 'Mean Girls'
Recommendation
Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
FIBA World Cup 2023: Who are the favorites to win a medal?
Kroy Biermann Files for Divorce From Kim Zolciak Less Than 2 Months After Reconciling
3 dead, 6 injured in mass shooting at Southern California biker bar, authorities say
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Iowa man dies while swimming with son in Alaska's Lake Clark National Park
Riverdale Season 7 Finale Reveals These Characters Were in a Quad Relationship
BTK killer's Kansas home searched in connection to unsolved missing persons and murder cases