Current:Home > reviewsEU Mediterranean ministers call for more migrant repatriations and increased resources -Capitatum
EU Mediterranean ministers call for more migrant repatriations and increased resources
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 08:07:45
THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) — Migration and interior ministers from five European Union countries most affected by migration across the Mediterranean — Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Malta and Spain — hailed a new EU pact on migration but said more resources were needed.
The ministers from the Med 5 group, who met in Thessaloniki, Greece on Friday and Saturday, took a hard line on returning migrants who have crossed into the bloc illegally to their countries of origin, arguing that if Europe does not tackle the problem decisively, more extreme voices will take over.
Greek Migration and Asylum minister Dimitris Kairidis, who hosted the sixth meeting of the Med 5, and European Commission Vice President Margaritis Schinas congratulated the Spanish presidency of the EU for “doing what is humanly possible” to arrive at a compromise agreement.
In a press conference Saturday, Schinas took issue with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, who said Friday Hungary was “legally raped” by its fellow EU members.
“Before he talks about rape, he should study the European Treaty,” he said, adding that decisions on migration are taken on an enhanced majority basis. Hungary and Poland were the two dissenters at an EU summit in Granada, arguing for a tougher approach.
“Personally, I would have preferred unanimity,” added Schinas. “But you cannot reach an understanding with someone who doesn’t want to.”
Kairidis added that Orbán is a warning of what could happen if EU does not come up with viable solutions.
“We are caught between the hateful shouters on the right and the naive people on the left who believe that any effort to guard borders violates human rights,” he said.
The Med 5 agreed on taking a hard line on migrant crossings but also emphasized cooperation with the countries of migration origin.
“It is important to encourage repatriation,” said Italian Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi.
Malta’s Interior minister Byron Camillieri added that it is very important “to send a clear message (illegally entering migrants) have no right to stay and will return promptly to (their countries) countries of origin.” He added that 70% of migrants who landed in Malta had been returned. All the migrants had traveled from Libya but 70% came originally from Asian countries, he said.
Cyprus’ Konstantinos Ioannou said that, recently, repatriations had exceeded arrivals in his country.
Schinas emphasized cooperation with the migrants’ countries of origin, including financial incentives. He said the countries should be made to understand that “if you cooperate with Europe, you gain; if you don’t, you lose.” He called this the “more for more and less for less,” approach.
Agreements are already in progress with Tunisia, Egypt and some western African countries, Schinas said, adding the EU should also revisit its 2016 deal with Turkey.
Under that agreement, the EU offered Turkey up to 6 billion euros ($6.7 billion) in aid for the Syrian refugees it hosts, fast-tracked EU membership and other incentives to stop Europe-bound migrants.
“We must destroy the traffickers’ business model,” Schinas added.
The Med 5 ministers called for an additional 2 billion euros to deal with migration. Most of the current EU budget was spent on accommodating Ukrainian refugees and tackling migrant flows through the EU’s external border with Belarus, they said.
The ministers also expressed concern about the conflict between Israel and Gaza that erupted Saturday and concern that an expanded Middle East conflagration would affect migrant flows. Kairidis said already most of the recent migrants crossing into Greece are from Gaza.
It was also noted that, besides the over 3 million Syrian refugees in Turkey, another 2.5 million are in Lebanon.
veryGood! (25)
Related
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Global wishes for 2024: Pay for family leave. Empower Black men. Respect rural voices
- Olympic skater being investigated for alleged sexual assault of former American skater
- Felon used unregistered rifle in New Year’s chase and shootout with Honolulu police, records show
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- India’s foreign minister signs a deal to increase imports of electricity from Nepal
- North Korea’s Kim orders increased production of mobile launch vehicles as tensions grow with US
- NBA fines Nets $100,000 for violating player participation policy by resting players
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Israeli man indicted for impersonating a soldier and stealing weapons after joining fight against Hamas
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Mexico’s president clarifies that 32 abducted migrants were freed, not rescued
- Possible Ozempic side effects including hair loss and suicidal thoughts probed by FDA
- Trump lawyers urge court to hold special counsel Jack Smith in contempt in 2020 election case
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- St. Petersburg seeks profile boost as new Tampa Bay Rays ballpark negotiations continue
- DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas calls for bipartisan effort to address rise in migrant crossings
- Joe Jonas Sets Off in Private Jet With Model Stormi Bree
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
The key question about fiery crash at Tokyo airport: Did one or both planes have OK to use runway?
Poor schools are prepared to return to court if Pennsylvania budget falls short on funding plan
US applications for unemployment benefits fall again as job market continues to show strength
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Police in Kenya follow lion footprints from abandoned motorcycle, find dead man
Mexico’s president clarifies that 32 abducted migrants were freed, not rescued
Trump’s lawyers want special counsel Jack Smith held in contempt in 2020 election interference case