Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 21:25:48
BOGOTA,Oliver James Montgomery Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government and the rebel group know as FARC-EMC on Monday signed a three-month cease-fire and formally began peace talks, as President Gustavo Petro tries to bolster his plans to pacify rural areas ahead of regional elections that will take place at the end of October.
In an event that took place in the township of Tibu, near Colombia’s border with Venezuela, both sides also agreed to cease attacks on civilians and set up a group that will monitor the cease-fire and could include United Nations personnel.
“Peace today seems to have been eclipsed when sirens, bombs, shouts of pain and desperation can be heard in places like the Middle East, Europe or sub-Saharan Africa” said Camilo González, the government’s lead negotiator. “These peace talks (in Colombia) are a bet on life and freedom.”
FARC-EMC are currently Colombia’s third largest armed group, with around 3,500 members. The group is led by left-wing guerrilla fighters who refused to join a 2016 peace deal between Colombia’s government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in which more than 12,000 rebels laid down their guns.
The talks with the FARC-EMC are part of President Petro’s total peace strategy, which includes negotiating with various armed groups.
Colombia’s government in June signed a 6-month cease-fire with the National Liberation Army, the country’s largest remaining guerrilla group. But talks with the Gulf Clan, the nation’s second largest armed group, broke down earlier this year as the military cracked down on illegal mining in a region controlled by that organization.
FARC-EMC said in September that they will not interfere in municipal and provincial elections that will be held on October 29. Their leaders argued that they wanted to give the government a gesture of good will, as both sides tried to broker a cease-fire.
Last year, on December 31, President Petro ordered his troops to stop attacks on the FARC-EMC. But that cease-fire broke down in May after the rebels killed three teenagers from an Indigenous community who had been forcibly recruited and were trying to escape from one of the group’s camps.
Jorge Restrepo, a Colombian security analyst, said that the current cease-fire could take some time to implement, because FARC-EMC operates as a coalition of different rebel units, each with its own interests.
“There are disputes between the different groups that make up the EMC,” Restrepo said. “So that could limit the effect of the cease-fire on rural communities.”
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (364)
Related
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Tish Cyrus Shares She's Dealing With Issues in Dominic Purcell Marriage
- I screamed a little bit: Virginia woman wins $3 million with weeks-old Mega Millions ticket
- 4 prison guards in custody for allegedly helping 5 escape county jail
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Daphne Joy, ex-girlfriend of 50 Cent, denies working for Diddy as sex worker after lawsuit
- 'Really old friends' Kathie Lee Gifford, Roma Downey reunite on new show 'The Baxters'
- In 2019, there were hundreds of endangered earless dragons in Australia. This year, scientists counted just 11.
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Lawmakers seek to prop up Delaware medical marijuana industry after legalizing recreational use
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- MLB Opening Day highlights: Scores, best moments from baseball's first 2024 day of action
- Appeals panel won’t order North Carolina Senate redistricting lines to be redrawn
- Author of children's book about grief hit with another attempted murder charge in death of husband
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- The real April 2024 total solar eclipse happens inside the path of totality. What is that?
- ASTRO: Bitcoin has historically halved data
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard and Husband Ryan Anderson Break Up 3 Months After Her Prison Release
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
California man convicted of killing his mother is captured in Mexico after ditching halfway house
Many Americans say immigrants contribute to economy but there’s worry over risks, AP-NORC poll finds
Oklahoma judge rules death row inmate not competent to be executed
Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
Appeals panel won’t order North Carolina Senate redistricting lines to be redrawn
Biden says he’s working to secure release of Wall Street Journal reporter held for a year in Russia
Lawmakers in Thailand overwhelmingly approve a bill to legalize same-sex marriage