Current:Home > MyEthermac|Musk's X to charge users in Philippines and New Zealand $1 to use platform -Capitatum
Ethermac|Musk's X to charge users in Philippines and New Zealand $1 to use platform
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 08:10:05
X,Ethermac formerly known as Twitter, will start charging users in the Philippines and New Zealand a $1 fee to use the service, a move owner Elon Musk says is aimed at curbing the presence of bots on the site.
The company announced the program, called Not a Bot, late Tuesday, saying the annual fee will apply to new users who want to post, like, reply and quote other content on the platform. Reading posts on the site's timeline will be possible without a charge.
Musk hinted at a paywall in the works for users of X in a September interview with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, claiming that it may be the only way "to combat vast armies of bots."
The idea is that by charging "a few dollars or something" it could deter the creation of new fake accounts since bots just cost "a fraction of a penny" to create, Musk told Netanyahu.
If the annual fees for using the site are applied more widely, it would mark a major departure for the social media service, which has been free to use since it was founded in 2006.
It is unclear why the company chose to start annual fees in the Philippines and New Zealand. Whether and when the initiative will reach other users around the world is also not known. The $1-a-year fee plan was first reported by Fortune.
Cracking down on bots, also known as spam or fake accounts, that mimic real people, has been a focus of Musk since he purchased the platform last year. But despite his best efforts, bots do still remain a persistent problem.
Since Musk's takeover, he has made other drastic changes, including reducing staff by more than 75% and making "verified" blue check marks available for $8 a month.
While Musk says the $1 annual subscription experiment is not aimed at making money, the company has been struggling financially in the face of changes made under the billionaire that have created new levels of chaos and mayhem on the site.
Musk himself has said that advertising revenue on the platform is down 60% since his takeover.
Fewer people are using X, too.
New figures from web traffic tracking firm SimilarWeb show that global web traffic to the site is down 14% compared to last year. In the U.S., which makes up about a quarter of its web traffic, the platform experienced a nearly 20% decline in traffic compared to year-ago figures.
Still, new X CEO Linda Yaccarino, a former ad executive, said recently that the company could be profitable by early next year, as she works to bring back skittish advertisers who left the platform since Musk assumed the reins.
The Israel-Gaza war has tested X in new ways. Since the violence erupted, a flood of bogus claims, unsubstantiated rumors and other falsehoods have inundated the platform.
Critics of X point to changes in the site's incentive structure as one reason for the surge in disinformation.
For instance, users who pay for a Twitter Blue subscription, affixing a "verification" badge to their profile, can make money off posts that go viral, spurring many to take advantage of misleading posts in order to earn a profit.
X's handling of disinformation and illegal content on the site since the war started has led to an investigation by the European Commission. Under a European Union law known as the Digital Services Act, social platforms must quickly remove illegal content such as hate speech, incitements of violence, and harmful disinformation. Failing to do could trigger fees equivalent to 6% of a company's annual global revenue.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Eyes on the road: Automated speed cameras get a fresh look as traffic deaths mount
- After getting 'sand kicked in face,' Yankees ready for reboot: 'Hellbent' on World Series
- 14 GOP-led states have turned down federal money to feed low-income kids in the summer. Here’s why
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Man who stuffed three Burmese pythons in his pants sentenced in smuggling attempt
- Louisiana State University running back charged with attempted second-degree murder
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Federal judges sound hesitant to overturn ruling on North Carolina Senate redistricting
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Godzilla, Oscar newbie, stomps into the Academy Awards
- EA Sports drops teaser for College Football 25 video game, will be released this summer
- US Justice Department sues over Tennessee law targeting HIV-positive people convicted of sex work
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Kansas City mass shooting is the 50th so far this year, gun violence awareness group says
- Will it take a high-profile athlete being shot and killed to make us care? | Opinion
- Kansas City mom and prominent Hispanic DJ dies in a mass shooting after Chiefs’ victory parade
Recommendation
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
Utah school board seeks resignation of member who questioned athlete’s gender
Man charged with setting fires at predominantly Black church in Rhode Island
Detroit Pistons' Isaiah Stewart arrested for allegedly punching Phoenix Suns' Drew Eubanks before game
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Alaska woman gets 99 years for orchestrating catfished murder-for-hire plot in friend’s death
Russia has obtained a ‘troubling’ emerging anti-satellite weapon, the White House says
Los Angeles firefighters injured in explosion of pressurized cylinders aboard truck