Current:Home > InvestCoast Guard resumes search for missing man Jeffrey Kale after boat was found off NC coast -Capitatum
Coast Guard resumes search for missing man Jeffrey Kale after boat was found off NC coast
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 05:31:44
The United States Coast Guard announced Tuesday it has resumed its search for missing boater off the coast of North Carolina after suspending the search on Monday.
Jeffrey Kale, 47, from Clover, South Carolina, was last seen around 4 p.m. Saturday aboard a white 32-foot Cape Horn center-console boat departing the Southport Wildlife Boat Ramp, according to the Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard said the search resumed after a good Samaritan located a vessel matching the description of the boat Kale was aboard. This was located nearly 83 miles east of Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina according to the Oak Island police.
"Coast Guard Sector North Carolina issued an urgent marine information bulletin to mariners in the area, requesting assistance locating Kale," the Coast Guard said in a news release Tuesday. "Multiple U.S. Navy ships in the area responded to the urgent marine information bulletin and are assisting the Coast Guard in the search."
The Coast Guard said the vessel had fishing gear engaged and was moving northeast at about six miles per hour. There was nobody aboard and no visible damage to the vessel. A commercial towing company will retrieve the vessel and tow it to shore, according to the news release.
Missing sailor found:Man sailing from California arrives in Hawaii after Coast Guard launched search for him
Search for Jeffrey Kale was previously suspended
Coast Guard Sector North Carolina watchstanders received a notification from Kale's family stating he was overdue from a fishing trip around 10:30 p.m. Saturday and the Coast Guard began its search Sunday between Blackjack and Steeples, North Carolina.
After searching for approximately 72 combined hours and covering over 7,000 square miles, the Coast Guard announced Monday it had suspended its search for Kale.
“It is with heavy hearts that we suspend our active search for Mr. Kale,” said Cmdr. Corrie Sergent, Sector North Carolina deputy commander, in a news release Monday. “Our extensive search by air and sea with numerous crews, assets, and several good Samaritans, saturated the various areas we believed he may be."
Gabe Hauari is a national trending news reporter at USA TODAY. You can follow him on X @GabeHauari or email him at [email protected].
veryGood! (3393)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Mideast countries that are already struggling fear price hikes after Russia exits grain deal
- SS Badger, ferry that carries traffic across Lake Michigan, out for season after ramp system damaged
- Deputy marshal and second man killed, woman wounded during drug investigation shooting
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Sofía Vergara Is On Hot Pursuit to Kick Back on Florida Girls' Trip Amid Joe Manganiello Divorce
- Progress made against massive California-Nevada wildfire but flames may burn iconic Joshua trees
- SUV plows into pedestrians on a busy New York City sidewalk while fleeing from police
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Poorly designed crossing contributed to fatal 2022 Missouri Amtrak derailment, officials say
Ranking
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Helicopter crashes near South Carolina airport, leaving pilot with non-life-threatening injuries
- 29 inches of rain from Saturday to Wednesday was Beijing’s heaviest rainfall in 140 years
- FBI: Over 200 sex trafficking victims, including 59 missing children, found in nationwide operation
- Sam Taylor
- Order ‘Mexican Gothic’ author Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s new book, ‘Silver Nitrate,’ today
- Ex-Detroit-area prosecutor pleads guilty after embezzling more than $600K
- Watch the 5 best goals of World Cup group play. Does Lindsey Horan's header top the list?
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Stolen car hits 10 people and other vehicles in Manhattan as driver tries to flee, police say
Ohio police officer fired not because K-9 attacked man, but for talking about it
Order ‘Mexican Gothic’ author Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s new book, ‘Silver Nitrate,’ today
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Pair mortally wounded in shootout with Ohio state troopers following pursuits, kidnapping
Robot manicures and eyelash extensions: How A.I. is attracting new beauty industry customers
Defense Dept. confirms North Korea responded to outreach about Travis King