Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Authorities target two Texas firms in probe of AI-generated robocalls before New Hampshire’s primary -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Authorities target two Texas firms in probe of AI-generated robocalls before New Hampshire’s primary
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 06:16:23
CONCORD,SafeX Pro N.H. (AP) — Authorities issued cease-and-desist orders Tuesday against two Texas companies they believe were connected to robocalls that used artificial intelligence to mimic President Joe Biden’s voice and discourage people from voting in New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary last month.
New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella said investigators have identified the source of the calls as Life Corporation and said they were transmitted by a company called Lingo Telecom. New Hampshire issued cease-and-desist orders and subpoenas to both companies, while the Federal Communications Commission issued a cease-and-desist letter to the telecommunications company, Formella said. In a statement, the FCC said it was trying to stop “behavior that violates voter suppression laws.”
During a news conference to discuss the investigation, Formella described the calls as the clearest and possibly first known attempt to use AI to interfere with an election in the U.S.
“That’s been something we’ve been concerned about in the law enforcement community for a while, and it’s certainly something that state attorneys general have talked about, but we had not seen as concrete of an example as this, days before a primary,” he said.
A message left for Life Corporation’s owner, Walter Monk, at his company Wholesale Communication was not immediately returned. Alex Valencia, who was named in an FCC letter as the chief compliance officer at Lingo Telecom, did not immediately return an emailed request for comment.
The recorded message was sent to between 5,000 and 25,000 voters two days before the Jan. 23 primary. It used a voice similar to Biden’s, employed his often-used phrase, “What a bunch of malarkey” and falsely suggested that voting in the primary would preclude voters from casting a ballot in November’s general election.
Biden won the Democratic primary as a write-in candidate after he kept his name off the ballot in deference to South Carolina’s new lead-off position for the Democratic primaries.
The calls falsely showed up to recipients as coming from the personal cellphone number of Kathy Sullivan, a former state Democratic Party chair who helps run Granite for America, a super PAC that supported the Biden write-in campaign. Formella said at least 10 people who received the calls then called Sullivan.
The apparent attempt at voter suppression using rapidly advancing generative AI technology is one example of what experts warn will make 2024 a year of unprecedented election disinformation around the world. Formella said the investigation is just beginning, but he wanted to send a strong message to deter others who might be tempted to interfere in this year’s elections.
“Our message is clear: Law enforcement across the country is unified on a bipartisan basis and ready to work together to combat any attempt to undermine our elections,” he said.
___
Swenson reported from New York.
veryGood! (93)
Related
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Will Nvidia be worth more than Apple by 2030?
- Harris, Walz will sit down for first major television interview of their presidential campaign
- Rail worker’s death in Ohio railyard highlights union questions about remote control trains
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- What will Bronny James call LeBron on the basketball court? It's not going to be 'Dad'
- Attorney for white homeowner who shot Ralph Yarl says his client needs a psychological evaluation
- Criminal charges weighed against a man after a country music star stops show over an alleged assault
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- One Tech Tip: How to get the most life out of your device
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Blake Lively’s Brother-in-Law Bart Johnson Fiercely Defends Her Amid It Ends With Us Criticism
- Consumers should immediately stop using this magnetic game due to ingestion risks, agency warns
- Nordstrom Rack Clear the Rack Sale: $9 Heels, $11 Shorts + Up to 94% Off Marc Jacobs, Draper James & More
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- New Mexico looking for a new state Public Education Department secretary for K-12 schools
- You’ll Flip Over Simone Biles and Gabby Thomas' Meet Up With Caitlin Clark
- NFL places restrictions on Brady’s broadcasting access because of pending Raiders ownership stake
Recommendation
FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
Tell Me Lies Costars Grace Van Patten and Jackson White Confirm They’re Dating IRL
NFL roster cut deadline winners, losers: Tough breaks for notable names
Video shows 37 passengers evacuate from New York City ferry after fire breaks out
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Police fatally shoot man, then find dead child in his car on Piscataqua River Bridge
4 killed, 10 injured when passenger van rolls several times in Texas highway crash
Stephen Curry agrees to $63 million extension with Warriors for 2026-27 season