Current:Home > reviewsSudan ceasefire fails as death toll in battle between rival generals for control over the country nears 300 -Capitatum
Sudan ceasefire fails as death toll in battle between rival generals for control over the country nears 300
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 05:35:45
The vicious battle between two Sudanese military commanders for control over the country continued for a fifth day Wednesday, with the fighting raging on despite a planned 24-hour ceasefire. The clash between the generals in charge of the country's armed forces and a massive paramilitary force had claimed at least 270 lives by Wednesday, according to the U.N.'s World Health Organization, and a medical group in Sudan said the majority were civilians.
The Sudan Doctors' Syndicate, a domestic organization which monitors casualties, said Tuesday that at least 174 civilians had been killed and hundreds more wounded, but the real toll from the fighting is likely to be considerably higher as bodies still lay on the streets in major cities where intense fighting continued.
The 24-hour humanitarian truce agreed to by both sides of the conflict never really took hold. Heavy gunfire peppered the capital city of Khartoum almost immediately after it was supposed to have gone into effect Tuesday evening.
Over the last five days the city that's home to more than six million people has been turned into a battlefield in the power struggle between the rival generals. Their bitter personal dispute has exploded into all-out war.
Half of Khartoum's hospitals were out of action Wednesday as the number of killed and wounded climbed precipitously higher.
Caught in the middle are millions of civilians, including Dallia Mohammed, who said she and other residents in the capital had spent the last few days "just staying indoors to keep our sanity intact" as the sounds of war echoed outside.
The U.S. has urged Americans in Khartoum to shelter in place, and Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday that a clearly marked U.S. diplomatic convoy had been fired on earlier in the week amid the chaos.
Nobody was harmed in the incident and it wasn't clear which side was responsible, but in calls with both Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who heads the Sudanese Armed Forces, and the leader of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, Blinken called the action reckless and irresponsible.
"I made it very clear that any attacks, threat, dangers posed to our diplomats were totally unacceptable," he said later.
The State Department has established a Sudan Military Conflict Task Force to oversee management and logistics related to events in Sudan, and it has said that contingency planning for U.S. personnel in the east African nation is underway.
Germany's government, meanwhile, canceled a plan to evacuate about 150 German nationals from Sudan due to the ongoing fighting, a source with knowledge of the planning told CBS News.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
veryGood! (438)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- A Missouri fire official dies when the boat he was in capsizes during a water rescue
- Hugs, peace signs and a lot of 'Love': Inside the finale of The Beatles' Cirque show
- Michigan teen missing for months found safe in Miami after appearing in Twitch stream
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- At least 1 dead, records shattered as heat wave continues throughout U.S.
- The plane is ready, the fundraisers are booked: Trump’s VP search comes down to its final days
- MyKayla Skinner Says She Didn’t Mean to Offend 2024 Olympics Team With “Hurtful Comments”
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Angel Reese makes WNBA history with 13th-straight double-double for Chicago Sky
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Hatch recalls nearly 1 million power adapters sold with baby sound machines due to shock hazard
- Organizers of recall targeting a top Wisconsin Republican appeal to court
- Taylor Fritz beats Alexander Zverev at Wimbledon. Novak Djokovic gets into it with the crowd
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- How Russia, Ukraine deploy new technologies, tactics on the battlefield
- Maui faces uncertainty over the future of its energy grid
- Entertainment giant Paramount agrees to a merger with Skydance
Recommendation
Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
Hatch recalls nearly 1 million power adapters sold with baby sound machines due to shock hazard
Pretrial hearing sets stage for Alec Baldwin’s arrival in court in fatal shooting of cinematographer
Across Maine, judges are deciding when the lack of an attorney becomes a constitutional violation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Chip Reid on addressing the long-term mental health of U.S. service members
Heather Locklear to Make Rare Public Appearance for 90s Con Reunion With Melrose Place Stars
Bloomberg Philanthropies gifting $1 billion to medical school, others at John Hopkins University