Current:Home > StocksPrince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate royal Frogmore Cottage home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew -Capitatum
Prince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate royal Frogmore Cottage home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 00:28:29
London — Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been asked "to vacate" their home in the U.K., Frogmore Cottage, which was given to them by the late Queen Elizabeth II, a spokesperson from the couple's Archewell organization said Wednesday. The statement came after a report in a British newspaper said they had been asked to give up the house by King Charles III, and it was being offered to King Charles' disgraced brother Prince Andrew, who is "resisting" taking up residence in the royal abode, according to the tabloid.
Harry and Meghan, who gave up their full-time royal duties and now live in California with their two children, are arranging to move the rest of their belongings out of the cottage and have them shipped to the U.S., The Sun said.
A spokesperson from Harry and Meghan's Archewell organization said in a statement to CBS News on Wednesday: "We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage."
Buckingham Palace offered no comment on the story, and generally does not speak about matters the royal family considers private.
Frogmore Cottage sits on the sprawling grounds of Windsor Castle, the primary home of Britain's monarchs for hundreds of years, just west of London. Harry and Meghan renovated the cottage between 2018 and 2019 at a cost of about 2.4 million pounds (about $2.9 million). The makeover was initially paid for by U.K. taxpayers via the royal family's "Sovereign Grant," but the cost was repaid by Prince Harry.
According to The Sun, after paying back the cost of the renovations, Harry made a deal with his family to continue renting the home for "several years."
After moving to live full-time in California, the couple still kept Frogmore Cottage as their U.K. residence. They celebrated their daughter Lilibet's first birthday there last year and also used it when they came to attend Queen Elizabeth's funeral.
But given the acrimony between the young royals and Harry's family, reportedly strained further by the publication of Harry's tell-all book "Spare" in January, they have largely kept their distance.
In 2020, Harry's cousin Princess Eugenie, Andrew's daughter, and her husband stayed at Frogmore Cottage, but the pair have since moved.
Harry and Meghan were given an eviction notice days after the release of Harry's book, The Sun said, and they have not been offered an alternative U.K. residence by the royal family.
Prince Andrew could reportedly lose his current home on the grounds of the Windsor estate, which he shares with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, because King Charles is planning on slashing his brother's royal grant, which is effectively an allowance of more than 250,000 pounds per year, The Sun reports.
It remains unclear if Harry and Meghan will be invited to King Charles' coronation ceremony in May.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (41)
Related
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Justice Department sues utility company over 2020 Bobcat Fire
- Carlee Russell’s Ex-Boyfriend Thomar Latrell Simmons Gives Tell-All on Abduction Hoax
- 'Senseless act of gun violence': College student fatally shot by stranger, police say
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Hollywood labor disputes in 'crunch time' amid ongoing strikes, reporter says
- Massachusetts cities, towns warn dog walkers to be careful after pet snatchings by coyotes
- A Michigan cop pulled over a reckless driver and ended up saving a choking baby
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Bob Barker to be honored with hour-long CBS special following The Price is Right legend's death
Ranking
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Justice Department sues utility company over 2020 Bobcat Fire
- Pentagon unveils new UFO website that will be a 'one-stop' shop for declassified info
- Why Coco Gauff vs. Caroline Wozniacki is the must-see match of the US Open
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Things to know about the latest court and policy action on transgender issues in the US
- North Korea says latest missile tests simulated scorched earth nuclear strikes on South Korea
- NWSL's Chicago Red Stars sold for $60 million to group that includes Cubs' co-owner
Recommendation
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
North Carolina’s Supreme Court upholds a death sentence for the convicted murderer of a 4-year-old
Your iPhone knows where you go. How to turn off location services.
David and Victoria Beckham Honor Son Romeo's Generous Soul in 21st Birthday Tributes
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
NASA said its orbiter likely found the crash site of Russia's failed Luna-25 moon mission
Russians press Ukraine in the northeast to distract from more important battles in counteroffensive
NASCAR driver Ryan Preece set for return at Darlington after Daytona crash