Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Olympic skater being investigated for alleged sexual assault of former American skater -Capitatum
Surpassing:Olympic skater being investigated for alleged sexual assault of former American skater
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:20:35
Note: This story contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse that may be Surpassingoffensive to some readers or painful to survivors of sexual assault.
Canadian Olympic figure skater Nikolaj Sørensen, one of the world’s top-ranked ice dancers, is being investigated by Canada’s Office of the Sport Integrity Commissioner for the alleged sexual assault of an American figure skating coach and former skater on April 21, 2012, according to documents and emails obtained by USA TODAY Sports.
The documents said the woman, then 22, said Sørensen, then 23, held her down against her will on a bed after a party at a condominium near Hartford, Connecticut.
“He pinned me down with his left arm over my collarbone,” the woman said in a report made to Canada’s OSIC and the U.S. Center for SafeSport, a copy of which was obtained by USA TODAY Sports. “He pushed down hard on my collarbone, making me gasp for air the moment he inserted his penis into my vagina and covered his right hand over my mouth.”
The report continues: “All sound at that point became virtually inaudible and it felt like I would suffocate under the pressure of his arm on my collarbone and chest. I pushed my arms against his hips to try to get his penis out of me and I was struggling to breathe. At this point, I feared for my life and let my body go limp as I lay there and he raped me.”
The woman is not being identified because USA TODAY Sports does not publish the names of victims of alleged sexual abuse.
Olympic gold medalist Nancy Hogshead, a well-known Title IX attorney who founded Champion Women, a non-profit legal advocacy organization for girls and women in sports, told USA TODAY Sports that she is representing the victim of the alleged sexual abuse. Hogshead confirmed that an investigation of Sørensen is taking place but said she could not comment further due to a confidentiality agreement mandated by the OSIC.
Multiple attempts to reach Sørensen via email, social media messages, his coach and the agency that represents him went unanswered.
Karine Bedard, director of communications and brand for Skate Canada, the nation’s governing body for figure skating, said in an email, “In accordance with our policies, Skate Canada has no knowledge of matters before the OSIC.”
Bedard did not reply to several requests for comment from Sørensen himself.
A spokeswoman for the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada said in an email that the OSIC “operates under existing confidentiality parameters and, as such, the office does not comment on any possible or ongoing matters.”
While the U.S. Center for SafeSport has been notified of the allegations against Sørensen, it has no jurisdiction over Sørensen at this time because he is not skating for the United States, according to a document obtained by USA TODAY Sports. However, that document reveals that SafeSport has placed Sørensen on “an administrative hold,” meaning that if he were to apply for U.S. Figure Skating membership in the future (a process necessary to coach figure skating in the U.S.), SafeSport would then begin its investigative process.
Sørensen, now 34, competed for his native Denmark earlier in his career, then represented Canada starting in the 2018-19 skating season. He became a Canadian citizen in September 2021. He finished ninth at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics and fifth at last year’s world championships with his ice dancing partner, Laurence Fournier Beaudry. They finished fifth at the 2023 Grand Prix Final in Beijing in early December and are expected to compete at both the Canadian nationals next week, where they are the defending champions, and the 2024 world championships in Montreal in March.
According to the report, the woman said she remained silent for years and never reached out to the police or sports officials because she feared that she would be blamed and that no one would believe her.
The report said she sought psychological treatment and considered filing a criminal complaint in Connecticut but discovered the statute of limitations for such action had expired.
Then, on July 22, 2023, according to the report, she opened an online article that included an interview with Sørensen in which he commented about the importance of keeping women safe in ice dancing.
“I couldn't believe the words coming out of the rapist's mouth,” the report quotes the woman as saying. “It hit me at that moment that mothers would likely be sending their daughters to train with him (as a coach) at some point after he retired from competitive skating, and I could not live with the guilt of knowing I never told any authority figures.”
According to the report, the woman filed her report with the OSIC that same day.
veryGood! (55932)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Alabama sets November date for third nitrogen execution
- Haitian ex-President Martelly hit with U.S. sanctions, accused of facilitating drug trade
- Second jailer to plead guilty in Alabama inmate’s hypothermia death
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Another Braves calamity: Austin Riley has broken hand, out for rest of regular season
- Pat McAfee says Aug. 19 will be the last WWE Monday Night Raw he calls 'for a while'
- A West Texas ranch and resort will limit water to residents amid fears its wells will run dry
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Why Ryan Reynolds 'kicked' himself for delayed 'Deadpool' tribute to Rob Delaney's son
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Judge allows transgender New Hampshire girl to play soccer as lawsuit challenges new law
- Powell may use Jackson Hole speech to hint at how fast and how far the Fed could cut rates
- Raiders go with Gardner Minshew over Aidan O'Connell as starting quarterback
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Favorable views of Kamala Harris have risen this summer heading into the DNC, AP-NORC poll shows
- Charlie Sheen's Twin Sons Bob and Max Make Rare Appearance With Mom Brooke Mueller
- A New Orleans school teacher is charged with child sex trafficking and other crimes
Recommendation
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
PHOTO COLLECTION: Election 2024 Trump
Las Vegas hospitality workers at Venetian reach tentative deal on first-ever union contract
50 years on, Harlem Week shows how a New York City neighborhood went from crisis to renaissance
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Charli XCX Is Very Brat, Very Demure in Kim Kardashian’s Latest SKIMS Launch— Shop Styles Starting at $18
Suspect in shooting outside a Kentucky courthouse has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Tuesday August 20, 2024