Current:Home > MarketsArkansas blogger files suit seeking records related to Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ travel, security -Capitatum
Arkansas blogger files suit seeking records related to Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ travel, security
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 23:04:44
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — An Arkansas attorney and blogger has filed a lawsuit against the Arkansas State Police that accuses the agency of illegally withholding public records he requested related to Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ travel and security.
Matthew Campbell, who runs the Blue Hog Report website, filed the lawsuit Tuesday challenging the State Police’s response to records he requested under the Freedom of Information Act. The requests included communications regarding the security for Sanders and her husband, Bryan Sanders, and records regarding their costs.
Campbell also requested communications and travel records for the State Police plane, which the governor uses for travel, and records related to Sanders’ trade mission to Europe earlier this year.
State Police cited several exemptions in declining to release records that didn’t apply, Campbell’s lawsuit said. They include an exemption for the governor’s “working papers,” and another regarding records related to governor’s mansion security. State Police also claimed the documents were considered “personnel records” and would have been an unwarranted invasion of privacy, the lawsuit said.
“Neither what ASP and the governor’s office communicate to one another about security details, nor the expenditures incurred by ASP in providing a security detail are pieces of information that are so personal or intimate that they give rise to a substantial privacy interest,” the lawsuit said. “Rather, these are government officials discussing work performed at public expense by other public employees.”
Campbell filed the lawsuit as lawmakers say they’re preparing for a possible special session as soon as next week that could include changes to the state FOI law on the agenda. Sanders has left open the possibility of calling a session to focus primarily on tax cuts.
Campbell requested that a hearing be scheduled within seven days of his complaint.
A State Police spokeswoman said in a statement that the information requested would “violate ASP’s statutory obligation to ensure the safety and security of the Governor and the First Family.” Sanders’ office criticized the lawsuit.
“It’s a new low in Arkansas politics for some on the radical left to weaponize FOIA and put the governor’s and her family’s lives in danger,” Alexa Henning, a spokeswoman for Sanders, said in an email.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Governors, Biden administration push to quadruple efficient heating, AC units by 2030
- Over 200 people are homeless after Tucson recovery community closes during Medicaid probe
- Olympic bobsled medalist Aja Evans files lawsuit alleging sexual abuse
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Ray Epps, man at center of right-wing Jan. 6 conspiracy, pleads guilty
- 1 killed, multiple people hurt as bus carrying children crashes on New York highway
- Elon Musk wants me to pay to use troll-filled X? That'll be the nail in Twitter's coffin.
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Olympic bobsled medalist Aja Evans files lawsuit alleging sexual abuse
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Medicaid coverage restored to about a half-million people after computer errors in many states
- 2 Black TikTok workers claim discrimination: Both were fired after complaining to HR
- Israel strikes alleged Syrian military structures. It says the buildings violated a 1974 cease-fire
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Apple iOS 17: What it offers and how to get it
- Teen rescued after stunt mishap leaves him dangling from California’s tallest bridge
- At least 1 killed when bus carrying high schoolers crashes on way to band camp
Recommendation
Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
Tests show drinking water is safe at a Minnesota prison, despite inmate concerns
Body cam shows aftermath of band leader's arrest after being shocked by police
Salma Hayek Says Her Heart Is Bursting With Love for Daughter Valentina on Her 16th Birthday
USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
Jail where murderer Danilo Cavalcante escaped plans to wall off yard and make other upgrades
Moose headbutts stomps woman, dog, marking 4th moose attack on Colorado hiker this year
Spain women’s coach set to speak on eve of Sweden game amid month-long crisis at Spanish federation