Current:Home > ScamsTrump says he'll still run if convicted and sentenced on documents charges -Capitatum
Trump says he'll still run if convicted and sentenced on documents charges
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 04:32:02
Former President Donald Trump said Friday that he'll continue to run for president even if convicted and sentenced on criminal charges brought by the special counsel investigating his handling of classified documents after leaving office.
Trump made the remarks during a call-in radio interview on the "John Fredericks Show," a day after a grand jury returned a superseding indictment that, among other charges, alleges that Trump, longtime aide Walt Nauta, and Mar-a-Lago staffer Carlos De Oliveira attempted to delete surveillance video footage at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in the summer of 2022.
"If going forward, right, you get these indictments, there ends up -- you got a jury in D.C., you get convicted and sentenced -- does that stop your campaign for president if you're sentenced?" host John Fredericks asked Trump in the interview.
MORE: 'The boss' wants server deleted: New allegations emerge in Trump indictment
"Not at all," Trump replied. "There's nothing in the Constitution to say that it could, and not at all."
Constitutional experts agree that the absence of a criminal record is not a qualification for the presidency. The Constitution says only that natural born citizens who are at least 35 years old and have been a resident of the U.S. for 14 years can run for president.
Trump, in the interview, also defended himself against prosecutors' allegations regarding attempts to delete security footage after investigators had subpoenaed it -- prior to investigators obtaining surveillance footage in July of 2022.
"I don't think we would have had to give it," Trump said regarding the footage, which prosecutors say shows Mar-a-Lago employees moving around boxes containing classified materials. "These were security tapes. I don't think we would have wanted to fight that ... I doubt we would have ever wanted to fight that. I doubt we would have had to give it. Regardless, we gave it."
According to the superseding indictment, De Oliveira, a current Trump Organization employee who sources tell ABC News is the head of maintenance at Mar-a-Lago, allegedly told another employee that "the boss" wanted the server containing security footage deleted, and asked how long it kept footage.
"What are we going to do?" De Oliveira allegedly said.
Trump, in Friday's radio interview, blasted the new indictment.
"I'm not sure they say -- I'm not even sure what they're saying," Trump said of the charges. "They're trying to intimidate people, so they have to lie."
"But these are two wonderful employees, with me for a long time and they're great people," Trump said of Nauta and De Oliveira. "They want to destroy their lives."
MORE: Trump could still be elected president despite 2nd indictment, experts say
The superseding indictment comes after Trump pleaded not guilty in June to 37 criminal counts related to his handling of classified materials, after prosecutors said he repeatedly refused to return hundreds of documents containing classified information ranging from U.S. nuclear secrets to the nation's defense capabilities.
Nauta, who was charged alongside him, pleaded not guilty earlier this month to six counts including conspiracy to obstruct justice and making false statements.
Trump has denied all charges and denounced the probe as a political witch hunt.
De Oliveira is due in court on Monday.
veryGood! (75949)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Water rescues underway in Arkansas after a new wave of storms across US and Canada
- Isabella Strahan Shares Update on Health Journey After Ending Chemotherapy
- It’s Officially Day 2 of Amazon Prime Day 2024, These Are the Rare Deals You Don’t Want To Miss
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Mauricio Umansky Spotted Kissing New Woman Amid Kyle Richards Separation
- Blade collapse, New York launch and New Jersey research show uneven progress of offshore wind
- Griselda's Sofía Vergara Makes History With 2024 Emmy Nomination
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- US judge suspends Alaska Cook Inlet lease, pending additional environmental review
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Tinx Convinced Me That Prime Day Should Replace New Year’s Resolutions and She Shares Her Top Deals
- California passed a law to fix unsafe homeless shelters. Cities and counties are ignoring it
- Drake shares dramatic video of mansion flooding from Toronto storm
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Emma Stone and Travis Kelce Are the Favourite Fans at Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Germany
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Roll the Dice
- Doubts about both candidates leave many Wisconsin voters undecided: I want Jesus to come before the election
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Simone Biles changed gymnastics. Now, it has to be more accessible for kids of color
Paul Skenes was the talk of MLB All-Star Game, but it was Jarren Duran who stole the spotlight
Team USA Basketball Showcase: Highlights from US vs. Serbia exhibition game
Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
RNC Day 3: What to expect from the convention after push to highlight GOP unity
I’m a Beauty Expert & These $15-And-Under Moira Cosmetics Makeup Picks Work as Well as the High-End Stuff
DNA breakthrough solves 1963 cold case murder at Wisconsin gas station