Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge -Capitatum
Robert Brown|FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 05:25:33
Federal agents on Robert BrownSaturday were on board a container ship in the Port of Baltimore that is managed by the same company as the ship that toppled the Francis Scott Key Bridge earlier this year, authorities confirmed.
"The Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Criminal Investigation Division and Coast Guard Investigative Services are present aboard the Maersk Saltoro conducting court authorized law enforcement activity," Angelina Thompson, a spokesperson with the U.S. District Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, told USA TODAY in a statement.
The Saltoro is managed by Synergy Marine Group, the same company that managed the Dali, which on March 26 crashed into the bridge, causing it to fall into the Patapsco River. Six people who were working on the bridge were killed in the disaster, which also stalled operations in the Port of Baltimore.
The Washington Post reported that its reporters saw the ship enter the harbor early Saturday morning and federal agents waiting in a line on the dock outside the ship.
It's not clear whether the move on Saturday is related to the ongoing investigation of the bridge collapse, and the agencies said they would not comment further. Synergy Marine Group did not return requests for comment on Saturday.
US government sues Dali owners
Earlier this week, the Department of Justice filed a civil claim for $103 million against Synergy Marine Private Limited and Grace Ocean Private Limited, the Dali's owner, to recover the money spent responding to the crash and clearing debris so the port could reopen in June.
The suit also includes an unspecified amount for punitive damages. The DOJ accused the two companies of negligence.
"This was an entirely avoidable catastrophe, resulting from a series of eminently foreseeable errors made by the owner and operator of the Dali," Brian Boynton, who heads the Justice Department's Civil Division, said in a statement.
The Dali lost power twice before it left the Port of Baltimore, according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board. The two companies that own and operate the Dali earlier filed a motion to limit their legal liability, which the city of Baltimore has opposed.
The companies said in a statement that the claims were anticipated, and "we do look forward to our day in court to set the record straight."
The families of the six men killed when the bridge tumbled into the water, the company that employed the workers and a survivor of the collapse have also filed claims against the companies in advance of a Sept. 24 deadline.
Contributing: N'dea Yancey-Bragg, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (4)
Related
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Who Is Kate Cassidy? Everything to Know About Liam Payne's Girlfriend
- Universal will open fourth Orlando theme park next May
- Louis Tomlinson Planned to Make New Music With Liam Payne Before His Death
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Booming buyouts: Average cost of firing college football coach continues to rise
- Liam Payne Death Investigation: Authorities Reveal What They Found Inside Hotel Room
- See JoJo Siwa’s Reaction to Being Accused of Committing Wire Fraud During Prank
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Uphill battles that put abortion rights on ballots are unlikely to end even if the measures pass
Ranking
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- How Larsa Pippen Feels About “Villain” Label Amid Shocking Reality TV Return
- Review of Maine police response to mass shooting yields more recommendations
- Sting blends charisma, intellect and sonic sophistication on tour: Concert review
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Review of Maine police response to mass shooting yields more recommendations
- Parkland shooting judge criticizes shooter’s attorneys during talk to law students
- Georgia state government cash reserves keep growing despite higher spending
Recommendation
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
NFL trade candidates: 16 players who could be on the block ahead of 2024 deadline
Liam Payne's Heartfelt Letter to His 10-Year-Old Self Resurfaces After His Death
McConnell called Trump ‘stupid’ and ‘despicable’ in private after the 2020 election, a new book says
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Harris and Trump target Michigan as both parties try to shore up ‘blue wall’ votes
2 men charged with 7 Baltimore area homicides in gang case
NFL Week 7 bold predictions: Which players and teams will turn heads?