Current:Home > ScamsArizona man charged over online posts that allegedly incited Australian attack in which 6 died -Capitatum
Arizona man charged over online posts that allegedly incited Australian attack in which 6 died
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 07:42:48
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. citizen has been charged in Arizona over online comments that allegedly incited what police describe as a “religiously motivated terrorist attack” in Australia a year ago in which six people died, officials said Wednesday.
Queensland state police officers Rachel McCrow and Matthew Arnold and innocent bystander Alan Dare were fatally shot by Gareth Train, his brother Nathaniel Train and Nathanial’s wife Stacey Train in an ambush at the Trains’ remote property in the rural community of Wieambilla last Dec. 12, investigators say.
Four officers had arrived at the property to investigate reports of a missing person. They walked into a hail of gunfire, police said at the time. Two officers managed to escape and raise the alarm.
Police killed the three Trains, who have been described as conspiracy theorists, during a six-hour siege.
FBI agents arrested a 58-year-old man near Heber Overgaard, Arizona, last week on a U.S. charge that alleged he incited the violence through comments posted online last December, Queensland Police Assistant Commissioner Cheryl Scanlon said at a joint news conference in Brisbane with FBI legal attaché for Australia Nitiana Mann. Police did not release the suspect’s name.
He was remanded in custody when he appeared in an Arizona court on Tuesday. He faces a potential five-year prison sentence if convicted.
“We know that the offenders executed a religiously motivated terrorist attack in Queensland,” Scanlon said, referring to the Trains. “They were motivated by a Christian extremist ideology.”
The FBI is still investigating the alleged motive of the American. Queensland police had flown to Arizona to help investigators there.
“The attack involved advanced planning and preparation against law enforcement,” Scanlon said.
Gareth Train began following the suspect on YouTube in May 2020. A year later, they were communicating directly.
“The man repeatedly sent messages containing Christian end-of-days ideology to Gareth and then later to Stacey,” Scanlon said.
Mann said the FBI was committed to assisting the Queensland Police Service in its investigation.
“The FBI has a long memory and an even longer reach. From Queensland, Australia, to the remote corners of Arizona,” Mann said.
“The FBI and QPS worked jointly and endlessly to bring this man to justice, and he will face the crimes he is alleged to have perpetrated,” she added.
veryGood! (34735)
Related
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Johnny Manziel's former teammate Mike Evans applauds him for speaking on mental health
- McDonald's has a new McFlurry: Peanut Butter Crunch flavor is out now
- Parents see own health spiral as their kids' mental illnesses worsen
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Number of Americans applying for jobless aid rises, but not enough to cause concern
- Arkansas secretary of state says he’ll run for treasurer next year
- Bollinger Shipyard plans to close its operations in New Orleans after 3 decades
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Stock market today: Global shares mostly rise as markets brace for US inflation report
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Sheriff: Inmate at Cook County Jail in Chicago beaten to death
- Suspending Kevin Brown, Orioles owner John Angelos starts petty PR war he can’t win
- Hall of Fame coach Dennis Erickson blames presidents' greed for Pac-12's downfall
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- After Ohio Issue 1's defeat, focus turns to abortion rights amendment on November ballot
- Utah’s multibillion dollar oil train proposal chugs along amid environment and derailment concerns
- Largest Mega Millions jackpot had multiple $1 million winners across the US
Recommendation
Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
Hollywood strikes' economic impacts are hitting far beyond LA
Which NFL playoff teams will return in 2023? Ranking all 14 from most to least likely
I've spent my career explaining race, but hit a wall with Montgomery brawl memes
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
$1.58 billion Mega Millions jackpot winning ticket sold in Florida
Billy Porter says he has to sell house due to financial struggles from actors' strike
North Korean leader Kim calls for his military to sharpen war plans as his rivals prepare drills