Current:Home > NewsFastexy:Congo and the UN sign a deal for peacekeepers to withdraw after more than 2 decades and frustration -Capitatum
Fastexy:Congo and the UN sign a deal for peacekeepers to withdraw after more than 2 decades and frustration
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 00:33:28
KINSHASA,Fastexy Congo (AP) — Congo’s foreign minister and the head of the United Nations stabilization mission in Congo signed agreements Tuesday to end the presence of U.N. peacekeepers after more than two decades in the Central African nation.
Congolese Foreign Minister Christophe Lutundula told national television that the ceremony marked the end of a collaboration “which has proved its limits in a context of permanent war, without the longed for peace being restored to eastern Congo.”
In a speech to the U.N. General Assembly in September, Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi called for an accelerated withdrawal of the 15,000 peacekeepers. Earlier this month, he told Congress that “the phased withdrawal of the U.N. mission must be responsible and sustainable.”
While no firm timeline was announced Tuesday, observers say it’s unlikely to accelerate the withdrawal before the current election cycle is completed.
Tshisekedi seeks another term in the Dec. 20 presidential election. Already the conflict in the country’s east has taken center stage. The president launched his campaign with a fiery speech accusing neighboring Rwanda of destabilizing eastern Congo.
Eastern Congo has long been overrun by dozens of armed groups seeking a share of the region’s gold and other resources. Some have been quietly backed by Congo’s neighbors. U.N. experts have noted “substantial evidence” that Rwanda is supporting the resurgent M23 rebel group, which Rwanda has denied.
Frustrated Congolese say that no one is protecting them from rebel attacks, leading to protests against the U.N. mission and others that have at times turned deadly.
Last month the Congolese government directed the East African regional force, deployed last year to help end the fighting, to leave the country by December. The government alleged a “lack of satisfactory results on the ground.”
veryGood! (8)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- 'Jackass' star Steve-O says he scrapped breast implants prank after chat with trans stranger
- How small businesses can recover from break-ins and theft
- Reservations at Casa Bonita, 'South Park' creators' Denver restaurant fill up in hours
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- A Southern California man pleads not guilty to setting a fire that exploded into a massive wildfire
- The new hard-right Dutch coalition pledges stricter limits on asylum
- A teen inmate is bound over for trial in a Wisconsin youth prison counselor’s death
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Detroit Red Wings sign Lucas Raymond to 8-year contract worth more than $8M per year
Ranking
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- California governor signs laws to protect actors against unauthorized use of AI
- Ranchers Are Using Toxic Herbicides to Clear Forests in Brazil
- A Southern California man pleads not guilty to setting a fire that exploded into a massive wildfire
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Scroll Through TikTok Star Remi Bader’s Advice for Finding Your Happiness
- North Carolina’s coast has been deluged by the fifth historic flood in 25 years
- Tommy Cash, country singer and younger brother of Johnny Cash, dies at 84
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Sean Diddy Combs Charged With Sex Trafficking and Racketeering Hours After New York Arrest
Tough treatment and good memories mix at newest national site dedicated to Latinos
Dolphins place Tua Tagovailoa on injured reserve after latest concussion, AP source says
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Is Demi Moore as Obsessed With J.Crew's Barn Jacket as We Are?
The FBI is investigating suspicious packages sent to election officials in at least 8 states
Honduran men kidnapped migrants and held them for ransom, Justice Department says