Current:Home > ContactSister of Carlee Russell's Ex-Boyfriend Weighs In on "Stupid as Hell" Kidnapping Hoax -Capitatum
Sister of Carlee Russell's Ex-Boyfriend Weighs In on "Stupid as Hell" Kidnapping Hoax
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 05:26:50
Carlee Russell has lost one of her biggest supporters in the aftermath of her kidnapping hoax.
Mya Simmons, the sister of Carlee's ex-boyfriend Thomar Latrell Simmons, put the 26-year-old nursing student on blast shortly after she admitted to faking her abduction through a statement from her attorney.
"I can't believe she fabricated this whole story," Mya wrote in a since-deleted Facebook post. "Carlee had my family & I believing her stage play."
She continued, "This whole situation is stupid as hell but at the end of the day, she's the one embarrassed. Everyone is literally on her neck for lying the way she did."
Although Mya noted that her "emotions are high" after Carlee's bombshell confession, she doesn't regret how she previously defended the Alabama native from cyberbullies amid the police investigation into her purported disappearance.
"Just like everyone that PERSONALLY knows Carlee and everyone who GENUINELY cared about her well being from the jump, we really thought she was missing," Mya wrote. "We clueless as well."
Recalling how her brother immediately joined the search for Carlee when she first went missing, Mya said she is "proud" of how Thomar handled the situation. "He did his part - being a real man and going out, searching hard for his gf like any concerned boyfriend would do," she wrote, before sharing that Thomar "is going to be okay. Waaaay better than he was before."
Mya added of Carlee, "She fumbledddddd."
Carlee vanished on July 13 after calling 911 and a family member to report seeing an unaccompanied toddler on an Alabama highway, sparking nationwide attention. The search for Carlee came to an end on July 15 after she returned home on foot.
When initially questioned by detectives as to what happened during her 49-hour disappearance, Carlee alleged she was abducted by a man and a woman, who forced her into a vehicle and held her captive in a house, according to police. Authorities said Carlee told them she managed to escape from her purported captors when they were traveling in the west Hoover area.
However, on July 24, an attorney for Carlee said that there was "no kidnapping."
"My client did not leave the Hoover area when she was identified as a missing person," the statement provided by her lawyer Emory Anthony read. "My client did not have any help in this incident. This was a single act done by herself. My client was not with anyone or any hotel with anyone from the time she was missing. My client apologizes for her actions to this community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police department and other agencies as well, as to her friends and family."
For his part, Carlee's ex said he was "hurt" to learn that her story was a hoax.
"I was made aware of the false narrative after coming to the defense of my ex Carlee Russell," Thomar said a statement shared to Instagram July 25. "Myself and my family's nature was to react in love, and genuine concern. We are disgusted from the outcome of this entire situation. I strongly feel exactly like you all, blindsided with Carlee's actions."
While he acknowledged that there's "still an ongoing investigation" into the matter, Thomar said that with Carlee's confession, "now we gain closure with this situation."
"The severity in this matter has not been overlooked," he added, "and I deeply respect the genuine support shared during this situation."
Authorities are still determining whether charges will be filed over the faked incident.
For more true crime updates on your need-to-know cases, head to Oxygen.com.veryGood! (81655)
Related
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Mystery of a tomato missing in space for months has been solved, and a man exonerated
- Medicare open enrollment ends today. Ignoring the deadline could cost you
- Is the US economy on track for a ‘soft landing’? Friday’s jobs report may offer clues
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax charges, adding to gun charges in special counsel probe
- UNLV gunman was unemployed professor who had 150 rounds of ammunition and a target list, police say
- Menu signed by Mao Zedong brings a quarter million dollars at auction
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- BBC News presenter Maryam Moshiri apologizes after flipping the middle finger live on air
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- The Bachelor's Joey Graziadei Breaks Down in Tears During Dramatic Teaser
- Adele praises influential women after being honored at THR’s Women in Entertainment gala
- Kroger stabbing: Employee killed during shift at Waynedale Kroger in Indiana: Authorities
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Man suspected of firing shotgun outside Jewish temple in upstate New York faces federal charges
- The Surprising Reason Meryl Streep Almost Didn't Get Cast in The Devil Wears Prada
- Yankees' Juan Soto trade opens hot stove floodgates: MLB Winter Meetings winners, losers
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Free toy store in Nashville gives families the dignity of choice while shopping for holiday gifts
Boy battling cancer receives more than 1,000 cards for his birthday. You can send one too.
Rebels in Congo take key outpost in the east as peacekeepers withdraw and fighting intensifies
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Yankees' Juan Soto trade opens hot stove floodgates: MLB Winter Meetings winners, losers
Live updates | Palestinians live in dire human conditions in Gaza despite Israel’s safe zone
Man suspected of firing shotgun outside Jewish temple in upstate New York faces federal charges