Current:Home > MyWest Virginia agrees to pay $4M in lawsuit over jail conditions -Capitatum
West Virginia agrees to pay $4M in lawsuit over jail conditions
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 23:07:33
BECKLEY, W.Va. (AP) — The state of West Virginia has agreed to pay $4 million to settle a class-action lawsuit filed by inmates who described conditions at a jail as inhumane, an attorney for the plaintiffs said.
Attorney Stephen New disclosed the figure Thursday to U.S. District Judge Frank Volk, who must approve the settlement. New said the amount is the highest that the state’s insurance coverage will pay, news outlets reported.
The lawsuit filed last year on behalf of current and former inmates of the Southern Regional Jail in Beaver referenced a lack of access to water and food at the facility, as well as overcrowding and fights that were allowed to continue until someone was injured.
The lawsuit named Betsy Jividen, the state corrections commissioner who resigned in August 2022; then-Homeland Security Secretary Jeff Sandy, who retired in July; Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation Executive Officer Brad Douglas, who was fired last week; Assistant Corrections Commissioner William Marshall, who has since been appointed commissioner; and former Southern Regional Jail superintendent Mike Francis.
The money would be split among more than 9,000 inmates at the jail dating to September 2020. Attorneys for the defendants did not object to the settlement in court. West Virginia Homeland Security Secretary Mark Sorsaia said in a statement that the settlement “represents the most favorable outcome for our state.”
The settlement does not include other parties, including two medical providers and seven county commissions that house inmates at the jail.
The administration of Gov. Jim Justice fired Douglas and Homeland Security Chief Counsel Phil Sword last week after a federal magistrate judge cited the “intentional” destruction of records in recommending a default judgment in the lawsuit. That followed a hearing in early October in which former and current corrections officials, including some defendants in the lawsuit, said no steps had been taken to preserve evidence at the jail, including emails and documents.
The email accounts of Jividen, Francis and others were removed after they left their jobs, according to testimony at the October hearing.
Brian Abraham, Justice’s chief of staff, had said no one in the administration sought to have emails deleted in any agency. Justice has said Homeland Security told him an investigation he ordered into conditions at the jail found no evidence of inhumane treatment.
Earlier this week, the Justice administration said it is conducting a separate internal investigation to determine whether other state employees were involved in the failure to produce records.
News outlets have reported there were more than a dozen deaths at the Southern Regional Jail last year.
veryGood! (236)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Are Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes' exes dating each other? Why that's not as shocking as you might think.
- China’s exports in November edged higher for the first time in 7 months, while imports fell
- A fibrous path 'twixt heart and brain may make you swoon
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- The New York Yankees' projected lineup after blockbuster Juan Soto trade
- Meta makes end-to-end encryption a default on Facebook Messenger
- What is aerobic exercise? And what are some examples?
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- National security advisers of US, South Korea and Japan will meet to discuss North Korean threat
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Vegas shooter who killed 3 was a professor who recently applied for a job at UNLV, AP source says
- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll responds to Jamal Adams mocking reporter's wife
- Robert Pattinson and Suki Waterhouse Make First Public Appearance Together Since Pregnancy Reveal
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Sara Bareilles admits she was 'freaked out' recording 'Waitress' live musical movie
- 'I know all of the ways that things could go wrong.' Pregnancy loss in post-Dobbs America
- Like Goldfish? How about chips? Soon you can have both with Goldfish Crisps.
Recommendation
New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
Australia pushes against China’s Pacific influence through a security pact with Papua New Guinea
U.S. sanctions money lending network to Houthi rebels in Yemen, tied to Iranian oil sales
Which college has won the most Heisman trophies? It's a four-way tie.
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
British poet and political activist Benjamin Zephaniah dies at age 65
Adele Hilariously Reveals Why She's Thriving as Classroom Mom
Sara Bareilles admits she was 'freaked out' recording 'Waitress' live musical movie