Current:Home > Invest2 adults are charged with murder in the deadly shooting at Kansas City’s Super Bowl celebration -Capitatum
2 adults are charged with murder in the deadly shooting at Kansas City’s Super Bowl celebration
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 20:27:23
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Two men have been charged with murder in last week’s shooting that killed one person and injured 22 others after the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade, Missouri prosecutors said Tuesday.
Dominic Miller and Lyndell Mays are charged with second-degree murder and other counts. They have been hospitalized since the shooting, Jackson County prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said during a news conference. Officials declined to answer whether the men were being treated for gunshot wounds or other injuries.
Court records lay out a basic view of how the shooting unfolded.
The men did not know each other before the shooting, according to prosecutors. They were among several people arguing when Mays “pulled his handgun first almost immediately” and several others did the same, Peters Baker said. Police say it was Miller’s gun that fired the shot that killed a woman.
Online court records did not list attorneys who could comment on the men’s behalf. The Missouri State Public Defender’s Office said applications for public defenders for the men had not yet been received by the Kansas City office.
The new charges come after two juveniles were detained last week on gun-related and resisting arrest charges. Authorities said more charges were possible.
“I do want you to understand — we seek to hold every shooter accountable for their actions on that day. Every single one,” Peters Baker said. “So while we’re not there yet on every single individual, we’re going to get there.”
Police have said a dispute among several people led to the shooting, which happened even as 800 police officers patrolled the celebration.
The 22 people injured range in age from 8 to 47, according to police Chief Stacey Graves. Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a mother of two and the host of “Taste of Tejano,” was killed.
The shooting was the latest at a sports celebration in the U.S. A shooting wounded several people last year in Denver after the Nuggets’ NBA championship.
That led Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas to wonder whether it’s time to rethink championship celebrations, even as he promised last week that the city will continue to celebrate its victories. Next month’s St. Patrick’s Day parade will go on as scheduled, Lucas said.
The Kansas City shooting occurred in a state with few gun regulations and a city that has struggled with gun violence. In 2020, Kansas City was among nine cities chosen by the U.S. Justice Department in an effort to crack down on violent crime. In 2023, the city matched its record with 182 homicides, most of which involved guns.
On Monday, Missouri’s Republican-led House on a bipartisan vote passed a ban on celebratory gunfire in cities following debate that ranged from tearful to angry. A similar measure was passed last year as part of a sweeping crime-related bill, but GOP Gov. Mike Parson vetoed the legislation. He cited issues with other crime provisions in the bill unrelated to celebratory gunfire.
___
Beck reported from Omaha, Nebraska.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Former Tennessee state senator gets 21-month prison sentence for campaign finance cash scheme
- Shein's mounting ethical concerns may be pushing some Gen Z shoppers to look elsewhere
- They lost everything in the Paradise fire. Now they’re reliving their grief as fires rage in Hawaii
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Full-time UPS drivers will earn $170,000 a year, on average, in new contract, CEO says
- Horoscopes Today, August 11, 2023
- Mexico investigates 4th killing at Tijuana hotel frequented by American accused of killing 3 women
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Vanderpump Rules’ Scheana Shay Addresses Ozempic Rumors After Losing Weight
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Travis Barker's Ex Shanna Moakler Defends Daughter Alabama's Rap Career
- What did a small-town family do with a $1.586 billion Powerball win?
- Joey Baby Jewelry Fall Accessory Must-Haves Start at Just $26
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- What 'The Red Zone' on college campuses teaches us about sexual assault
- 'No place to live': Why rebuilding Maui won't be easy after deadly fires
- Savannah considers Black people and women for city square to replace name of slavery advocate
Recommendation
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Alabama residents to get $300 tax rebate checks likely in November
How fixing up an old Mustang helped one ALS patient find joy through friendship
These states are still sending out stimulus checks
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Getting lit for Hip-Hop's 50th birthday
NYC fire officials probe if e-bike battery is behind latest deadly fire
Arkansas governor names Shea Lewis as Parks, Heritage and Tourism secretary