Current:Home > ContactRekubit-George Tyndall, former USC gynecologist facing sex crime charges, was found dead in his home at 76 -Capitatum
Rekubit-George Tyndall, former USC gynecologist facing sex crime charges, was found dead in his home at 76
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 07:57:58
Longtime former USC gynecologist Dr. George Tyndall, whom more than 400 female patients had accused of molestation over a period of several decades was found dead at his Los Angeles home Wednesday according to attorney Leonard Levine.
A close friend went to his home after being unable to reach him, and found Tyndall unresponsive.
Tyndall's attorneys said there is no suspicion of foul play or suicide in his death, they believe he died of natural causes. The exact cause of death will be determined by medical examiners.
The 76-year-old Tyndall was set to stand trial next year on sex crimes charges related to 16 former patients.
He was charged with 18 counts of sexual penetration of an unconscious person and 11 counts of sexual battery by fraud.
Prosecutors said the charges relate to 16 victims ranging in age from 17 to 29. The alleged assaults occurred between 2009 and 2016 while Tyndall worked at the campus health center.
At the time of Tydall's arrest in 2019, Los Angeles police Chief Michel Moore said Tyndall was armed with a loaded .38-caliber revolver. Moore said he did not believe Tyndall has a concealed weapon permit, which is highly restricted in California.
Tyndall complained of chest pains when he was arrested and was hospitalized for treatment, according to Moore.
LAPD said it had 12 detectives working full-time on the case, spoke to more than 400 women and traveled across 16 states during the investigation.
Tyndall served as the only full-time gynecologist at the USC Engemann Student Health Center for nearly 30 years. In 2016, the school began investigating him over allegations of improper pelvic exams and making racist and sexually inappropriate remarks. Former colleagues had questioned his methods of pelvic exams, specifically, his practice of digital insertion before using a speculum.
Numerous women had stated Tyndall watched them undress and proceeded to violate them during pelvic exams.
Tyndall's attorneys said in a statement that their client "remains adamant" that he will be "totally exonerated."
USC didn't terminate Tyndall's employment until June 2017. The LA Times had been looking into Tyndall for months prior to the university's public acknowledgment in May of 2018 that the school had been investigating him.
Since the revelation, hundreds of women with misconduct complaints against Tyndall came forward and filed lawsuits against the school, claiming that USC tried to cover up his sexual abuse.
More than 400 women have accused him of sexual misconduct. During their investigation, LAPD detectives found numerous naked photographs of women in a rental storage unit belonging to Tyndall.
As a result of the scandal, USC President C. L. Max Nikias officially resigned his position in August 2018. Two longtime student health clinic administrators were also fired.
In October 2018m USC announced it had reached a $215 million settlement in principle on a class-action lawsuit brought against Tyndall. As part of the settlement, all class-action members will receive compensation of $2,500, with some potentially receiving more.
One of the women accusing Tyndall of sexual abuse is USC graduate student Daniella Mohazab who was a patient of Tyndall's in 2016. She is part of the civil suit against the former gynecologist, but attorneys declined to say if she is one of the alleged victims for which charges were filed against Tyndall.
veryGood! (6993)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- 2 people killed and 2 wounded in Houston shooting, sheriff says
- New York Mets manager Buck Showalter not returning in 2024 after disappointing season
- In New York City, scuba divers’ passion for the sport becomes a mission to collect undersea litter
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Seaplane hits power line, crashes into Ohio river; 2 taken to hospital with minor injuries
- It's only fitting Ukraine gets something that would have belonged to Russia
- Trump expected to attend opening of his civil fraud trial in New York on Monday
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Jailed Maldives’ ex-president transferred to house arrest after his party candidate wins presidency
Ranking
- Small twin
- 2023 MLB playoffs schedule: Postseason bracket, game times for wild-card series
- Bay Area Subway franchises must pay $1 million for endangering children, stealing checks
- Deaf couple who made history scaling Everest aims to inspire others
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Young Evangelicals fight climate change from inside the church: We can solve this crisis in multiple ways
- Nightengale's Notebook: Why the Milwaukee Brewers are my World Series pick
- Powerball tops $1 billion after no jackpot winner Saturday night
Recommendation
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Kansas police chief suspended in wake of police raid on local newspaper
Lane Kiffin finally gets signature win as Ole Miss outlasts LSU in shootout for the ages
Watch every touchdown from Bills' win over Dolphins and Cowboys' victory over Patriots
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Texas rises in top five, Utah and LSU tumble in US LBM Coaches Poll after Week 5
The Hollywood writers strike is over, but the actors strike could drag on. Here's why
Put her name on it! Simone Biles does Yurchenko double pike at worlds, will have it named for her