Current:Home > NewsAfghan embassy says it is stopping operations in Indian capital -Capitatum
Afghan embassy says it is stopping operations in Indian capital
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 06:37:56
NEW DELHI (AP) — India’s External Affairs Ministry is examining a letter from the Afghan Embassy that says it plans to cease all operations in the Indian capital by Saturday, an official said Friday.
India has not recognized the Taliban government which seized power in Afghanistan in August 2021. It evacuated its own staff from Kabul ahead of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan two years ago and no longer has a diplomatic presence there.
To date, the Afghan Embassy in New Delhi has been run by staff appointed by the previous government of ousted Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, with permission from the Indian authorities.
However, the Afghan ambassador has been out of India for several months and a steady stream of diplomats has departed for third countries, reportedly after receiving asylum, a ministry official said on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to talk to reporters.
India has said it will follow the lead of the United Nations in deciding whether to recognize the Taliban government.
Afghan embassy officials in New Delhi couldn’t be reached on Friday.
The Afghan media outlet TOLO said it had obtained the letter detailing the embassy’s grievances conveyed to the Indian External Affairs ministry.
The letter said the embassy’s decision to permanently cease all operations by the end of September stems from its inability to maintain normal functioning due to “the absence of diplomatic consideration and systematic support” from the Indian External Affairs Ministry.
Last year India sent relief material, including wheat, medicines, COVID-19 vaccines and winter clothing to Afghanistan to help with shortages there.
In June last year, India sent a team of officials to its embassy in Kabul.
veryGood! (14891)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Wisconsin agency issues first round of permits for Enbridge Line 5 reroute around reservation
- The Daily Money: All about 'Doge.'
- Japan to resume V-22 flights after inquiry finds pilot error caused accident
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- US wholesale inflation picks up slightly in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Pete Alonso's best free agent fits: Will Mets bring back Polar Bear?
- Man who stole and laundered roughly $1B in bitcoin is sentenced to 5 years in prison
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- High-scoring night in NBA: Giannis Antetokounmpo explodes for 59, Victor Wembanyama for 50
Ranking
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Inter Miami's MLS playoff failure sets stage for Messi's last act, Alexi Lalas says
- Joan says 'Yes!' to 'Golden Bachelorette' finale fantasy beach proposal. Who did she pick?
- Jon Gruden joins Barstool Sports three years after email scandal with NFL
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Florida man’s US charges upgraded to killing his estranged wife in Spain
- Only 8 monkeys remain free after more than a week outside a South Carolina compound
- Bodyless head washes ashore on a South Florida beach
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Outgoing North Carolina governor grants 2 pardons, 6 commutations
Up to 20 human skulls found in man's discarded bags, home in New Mexico
Bodyless head washes ashore on a South Florida beach
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Burt Bacharach, composer of classic songs, will have papers donated to Library of Congress
College football Week 12 expert picks for every Top 25 game include SEC showdowns
Only 8 monkeys remain free after more than a week outside a South Carolina compound