Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-"They fired on us like rain": Saudi border guards killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants, Human Rights Watch says -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-"They fired on us like rain": Saudi border guards killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants, Human Rights Watch says
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 02:34:39
Saudi border guards fired "like rain" on Charles H. SloanEthiopian migrants trying to cross into the Gulf kingdom from Yemen, killing hundreds since last year, Human Rights Watch said in a report Monday.
The allegations, described as "unfounded" by a Saudi government source, point to a significant escalation of abuses along the perilous route from the Horn of Africa to Saudi Arabia, where hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians live and work.
One 20-year-old woman from Ethiopia's Oromia region, interviewed by HRW, said Saudi border guards opened fire on a group of migrants they had just released from custody.
"They fired on us like rain. When I remember, I cry," she said.
"I saw a guy calling for help, he lost both his legs. He was screaming; he was saying, 'Are you leaving me here? Please don't leave me'. We couldn't help him because we were running for our lives."
HRW researcher Nadia Hardman said "Saudi officials are killing hundreds of migrants and asylum seekers in this remote border area out of view of the rest of the world," according to a statement.
"Spending billions buying up professional golf, football clubs, and major entertainment events to improve the Saudi image should not deflect attention from these horrendous crimes," she said.
The United States on Monday voiced alarm over the report and urged a full investigation.
"We have raised our concerns about these allegations with the Saudi government," a State Department spokesperson said."We urge the Saudi authorities to undertake a thorough and transparent investigation and also to meet their obligations under international law."
A Saudi government source told AFP that the allegations were unreliable.
"The allegations included in the Human Rights Watch report about Saudi border guards shooting Ethiopians while they were crossing the Saudi-Yemeni border are unfounded and not based on reliable sources," said the source, who requested anonymity.
The New York-based group has documented abuses against Ethiopian migrants in Saudi Arabia and Yemen for nearly a decade, but the latest killings appear to be "widespread and systematic" and may amount to crimes against humanity, it said.
Last year, United Nations experts reported "concerning allegations" that "cross-border artillery shelling and small-arms fire by Saudi Arabia security forces killed approximately 430 migrants" in southern Saudi Arabia and northern Yemen during the first four months of 2022.
- Abducted U.N. workers free after 18 months in Yemen
In March that year, repatriation of Ethiopians from Saudi Arabia began under an agreement between the two countries. Ethiopia's foreign ministry said about 100,000 of its citizens were expected to be sent home over several months.
The HRW report said there was no response to letters it sent to Saudi officials.
But the Houthi rebels who control northern Yemen alleged "deliberate killings of immigrants and Yemenis" by border guards, in response to a letter from HRW.
According to the rights group, migrants said Houthi forces worked with people smugglers and would "extort" them or keep them in detention centres where they were "abused" until they could pay an "exit fee".
The Houthis denied working with people smugglers, describing them as "criminals".
In 2015, Saudi officials mobilised a military coalition in an effort to stop the advance of the Iran-backed Houthis, who had seized the Yemeni capital Sanaa from the internationally recognised government the previous year.
Yemen's war has created what the UN describes as one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, with millions dependent on aid.
- Oil from "FSO Safer" supertanker decaying off Yemen's coast finally being pumped onto another ship
Many of the abuses described by HRW would have occurred during a truce that took effect in April 2022 and has largely held despite officially expiring last October.
The HRW report draws from interviews with 38 Ethiopian migrants who tried to cross into Saudi Arabia from Yemen, as well as from satellite imagery, videos and photos posted to social media "or gathered from other sources".
Interviewees described 28 "explosive weapons incidents" including attacks by mortar projectiles, the report said.
Some survivors described attacks at close range, with Saudi border guards asking Ethiopians "in which limb of their body they would prefer to be shot", the report said.
"All interviewees described scenes of horror: women, men, and children strewn across the mountainous landscape severely injured, dismembered, or already dead," it said.
Other accounts described forced rape and beatings with rocks and iron bars.
HRW called on Riyadh to end any policy of using lethal force on migrants and asylum seekers, and urged the UN to investigate the alleged killings.
- In:
- Human Rights Watch
- Human rights
- Saudi Arabia
- Ethiopia
- Migrants
veryGood! (3415)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- 2 corrections officers stabbed, 3 others injured in assault at Massachusetts prison
- MLS playoff clinching scenarios: LAFC, Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake can secure berths
- Orioles DFA nine-time All-Star closer Craig Kimbrel right before MLB playoffs
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Endangered sea corals moved from South Florida to the Texas Gulf Coast for research and restoration
- Horoscopes Today, September 18, 2024
- Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell is selling his house to seek more privacy
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- No charges will be pursued in shooting that killed 2 after Detroit Lions game
Ranking
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Lawsuits buffet US offshore wind projects, seeking to end or delay them
- Georgia Sen. Jon Ossoff seeks more control over postmaster general after mail meltdown
- Video shows geologists collecting lava samples during Hawaii's Kilauea volcano eruption
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Authorities find body believed to be suspect in Kentucky highway shooting
- Horoscopes Today, September 18, 2024
- Autopsy finds a California couple killed at a nudist ranch died from blows to their heads
Recommendation
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
Voters view Harris more favorably as she settles into role atop Democratic ticket: AP-NORC poll
Testimony begins in trial for ex-sergeant charged in killing of Virginia shoplifting suspect
Senator’s son to change plea in 2023 crash that killed North Dakota deputy
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Tupperware, company known for its plastic containers, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
A 12-year-old boy fatally shoots a black bear mauling his father during a hunt in western Wisconsin
Who plays on Thursday Night Football? Breaking down Week 3 matchup