Current:Home > MarketsD-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players -Capitatum
D-backs acquire 3B Eugenio Suárez from Mariners in exchange for two players
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 01:19:57
PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Diamondbacks acquired slugger Eugenio Suárez on Wednesday from the Seattle Mariners for reliever Carlos Vargas and catcher Seby Zavala.
The 32-year-old Suárez was a 2018 All-Star for the Cincinnati Reds and has been a consistent power hitter for the past decade, slugging 246 homers since 2012. He fills a need for the D-backs at third base, which was manned mostly by Evan Longoria and Emmanuel Rivera last season.
Suárez also provides another power bat for the reigning NL champions. He hit .232 with 22 homers and 96 RBIs for the Mariners last season, playing third base and designated hitter.
Suárez is due $11 million for next year as part of deal that includes a $15 million option for 2025 with a $2 million buyout.
“It adds a little bit of stability at that spot,” Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen said. “He’s a guy we’ve liked for a long time.”
Vargas is a 24-year-old right-hander who made his big league debut with the Diamondbacks this season, throwing in five games. The 30-year-old Zavala has been a backup catcher for the Chicago White Sox and the Diamondbacks over the past three seasons.
Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Mariners, said the club envisions Zavala as the backup to Cal Raleigh entering the season.
“Adding Seby and Carlos is another step toward building the type of deep roster that is required at the major league level,” Dipoto said. “Seby is an experienced catcher with excellent defensive skills who will team with Cal behind the plate. And Carlos is a young reliever with the type of ‘big stuff’ that our staff has done a wonderful job developing over the years.”
Moving on from Suárez will be hard to sell to a fan base full of skepticism about the direction of the club after Seattle missed the playoffs and Dipoto’s misstep with some of his postseason comments. From the outside, it appears to be a move to clear salary, erases a key leader from Seattle’s clubhouse and leaves a hole at third base.
But Dipoto said earlier this offseason that Seattle wanted to cut down on its strikeouts at the plate, especially from the right side. It was part of the reason Teoscar Hernández was not made a qualifying offer by the team. While Suárez provided power, he also struck out an American League-high 214 times.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/mlb
veryGood! (97)
Related
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Veteran Nebraska police officer killed in crash when pickup truck rear-ended his cruiser
- Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes meets soccer legend Lionel Messi before MLS game in Kansas City
- 2024 Masters tee times for final round Sunday: When does Scottie Scheffler, Tiger Woods tee off?
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- Julian Assange's wife takes hope as Biden says U.S. considering dropping charges against WikiLeaks founder
- Real Madrid and Barcelona rest starters in Liga wins ahead of clashes with Man City and PSG
- What we learned covering O.J. Simpson case: We hardly know the athletes we think we know
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Guilty plea by leader of polygamous sect near the Arizona-Utah border is at risk of being thrown out
Ranking
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Trump pushes Arizona lawmakers to ‘remedy’ state abortion ruling that he says ‘went too far’
- 'I can't believe that': Watch hundreds of baby emperor penguins jump off huge ice cliff
- Can homeless people be fined for sleeping outside? A rural Oregon city asks the US Supreme Court
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- River barges break loose in Pittsburgh, causing damage and closing bridges before some go over a dam
- Eleanor Coppola, matriarch of a filmmaking family, dies at 87
- Shohei Ohtani interpreter allegedly stole $16M from MLB star, lost $40M gambling: What to know
Recommendation
From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
A man stabbed to death 5 people in a Sydney shopping center and was fatally shot by police
Hailey Bieber and Justin Bieber Share a Sweet Moment at Coachella 2024
In-N-Out makes price pledge with California minimum wage law, as others raise rates, slash staff
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Visitors are seen on camera damaging rock formations at a Nevada recreation site
Far fewer young Americans now want to study in China, something both countries are trying to fix
What we learned covering O.J. Simpson case: We hardly know the athletes we think we know