Current:Home > MyOver 50 French stars defend Gérard Depardieu with essay amid sexual misconduct claims -Capitatum
Over 50 French stars defend Gérard Depardieu with essay amid sexual misconduct claims
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:26:54
PARIS — More than 50 French performers, writers and producers published an essay Tuesday defending film star and national icon Gérard Depardieu amid growing scrutiny of his behavior toward women during his five-decade career. Advocates for sexual abuse victims expressed dismay at the outpouring of support.
Depardieu was handed preliminary rape and sexual assault charges in 2020 following allegations from actor Charlotte Arnould, and has been accused by more than a dozen other women of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting them. Depardieu denies wrongdoing, and called the essay ''beautiful.''
Published Tuesday in the conservative-leaning Le Figaro, it was signed by figures including former first lady and singer Carla Bruni, Depardieu's former partner Carole Bousquet, and actors Pierre Richard, Charlotte Rampling and Victoria Abril. Two dozen of the 56 signatories were women. Many are from Depardieu's generation; he is 74.
A recent documentary outlined accusations of sexual misconduct by 16 women against Depardieu, and showed the actor making obscene remarks and gestures during a 2018 trip to North Korea. The France-2 documentary prompted calls by some to stop airing Depardieu's films, which include classics of modern French cinema.
In response, Tuesday's essay says: ''We cannot remain silent in the face of the lynching targeting him, the torrent of hate being dumped on his personality.
''When Gérard Depardieu is targeted this way, it is the art (of cinema) that is being attacked,'' it said. ''France owes him so much. … Depriving ourselves of this immense actor would be a drama, a defeat. The death of the art. Our art.''
Paris lawmaker and feminist Raphaëlle Rémy-Leleu said the signatories are experiencing a ''denial of reality.'' She said she would have preferred for them to support initiatives against sexual violence instead.
''They are refusing to see what this man did … because he is an artist," she told broadcaster France-Info.
Emmanuelle Dancourt, whose #MeTooMedia group supports sexual misconduct victims in the media industry, said on BFM television that the essay's message is particularly painful for victims of sexual abuse by powerful men.
French President Emmanuel Macron also drew ire when he said last week that Depardieu ''makes France proud."
The recent documentary includes a segment where Depardieu is heard making crude sexual comments about a young girl riding a horse. Macron suggested that the segment could have been edited in a misleading way. France Televisions, which broadcast the documentary, later said that the segment in question was authenticated by a bailiff who viewed the raw footage.
'(He) makes France proud':Emmanuel Macron supports Gérard Depardieu amid sexual misconduct claims
Gérard Depardieu:French actor accused of sexual harassment, assault by 13 women in report
veryGood! (66749)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Ryan Reynolds Clarifies Taylor Swift’s Role as Godmother to His Kids With Blake Lively
- Love Actually Secrets That Will Be Perfect to You
- California teen pleads guilty in Florida to making hundreds of ‘swatting’ calls across the US
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Colorado police shot, kill mountain lion after animal roamed on school's campus
- Zendaya Shares When She Feels Extra Safe With Boyfriend Tom Holland
- Darren Criss on why playing a robot in 'Maybe Happy Ending' makes him want to cry
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Bill on school bathroom use by transgender students clears Ohio Legislature, heads to governor
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- To Protect the Ozone Layer and Slow Global Warming, Fertilizers Must Be Deployed More Efficiently, UN Says
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul VIP fight package costs a whopping $2M. Here's who bought it.
- Suspect in deadly 2023 Atlanta shooting is deemed not competent to stand trial
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Bluesky has added 1 million users since the US election as people seek alternatives to X
- California teen pleads guilty in Florida to making hundreds of ‘swatting’ calls across the US
- 1 million migrants in the US rely on temporary protections that Trump could target
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Secret Service Agent Allegedly Took Ex to Barack Obama’s Beach House
Vogue Model Dynus Saxon Charged With Murder After Stabbing Attack
Footage shows Oklahoma officer throwing 70-year-old to the ground after traffic ticket
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Crews battle 'rapid spread' conditions against Jennings Creek fire in Northeast
Get well, Pop. The Spurs are in great hands until your return
Insurance magnate pleads guilty as government describes $2B scheme