Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in Albuquerque -Capitatum
Surpassing:New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in Albuquerque
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 07:07:23
SANTA FE,Surpassing N.M. – New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has issued an emergency public health order temporarily suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and surrounding Bernalillo County.
The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act because of recent shootings, including the death of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium this week.
Lujan Grisham said state police would be responsible for enforcing what amount to civil violations. Albuquerque police Chief Harold Medina said he won’t enforce it, and Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen said he’s uneasy about it because it raises too many questions about constitutional rights.
The firearms suspension, classified as an emergency public health order, applies to open and concealed carry in most public places, from city sidewalks to urban recreational parks. The restriction is tied to a threshold for violent crime rates currently only met by the metropolitan Albuquerque. Police and licensed security guards are exempt from the temporary ban.
Hurricane Lee:Will Hurricane Lee turn and miss the East Coast? Latest NHC forecast explained.
Violators could face civil penalties and a fine of up to $5,000, gubernatorial spokeswoman Caroline Sweeney said. Under the order, residents still can transport guns to some private locations, such as a gun range or gun store, provided the firearm has a trigger lock or some other container or mechanism making it impossible to discharge.
Lujan Grisham acknowledged not all law enforcement officials were on board with her decision.
“I welcome the debate and fight about how to make New Mexicans safer,” she said at a news conference, flanked by law enforcement officials, including the district attorney for the Albuquerque area.
John Allen said in a statement late Friday that he has reservations about the order but is ready to cooperate to tackle gun violence.
Sheriff: New Mexico gun ban challenges 'foundation of our constitution'
“While I understand and appreciate the urgency, the temporary ban challenges the foundation of our constitution, which I swore an oath to uphold,” Allen said. “I am wary of placing my deputies in positions that could lead to civil liability conflicts, as well as the potential risks posed by prohibiting law-abiding citizens from their constitutional right to self-defense.”
Enforcing the governor’s order also could put Albuquerque police in a difficult position with the U.S. Department of Justice regarding a police reform settlement, said police spokesman Gilbert Gallegos.
“All of those are unsettled questions,” he said late Friday.
Lujan Grisham referenced several recent shootings in Albuquerque in issuing the order. Among them was a suspected road rage shooting Wednesday outside a minor league baseball stadium that killed 11-year-old Froyland Villegas and critically wounded a woman as their vehicle was peppered with bullets while people left the game.
Bird deaths:What's causing massive seabird die-offs? Warming oceans part of ecosystem challenges
Last month, 5-year-old Galilea Samaniego was fatally shot while asleep in a motor home. Four teens entered the mobile home community in two stolen vehicles early on Aug. 13 and opened fire on the trailer, according to police. The girl was struck in the head and later died at a hospital.
The governor also cited an August shooting death in Taos County of 13-year-old Amber Archuleta. A 14-year-old boy shot and killed the girl with his father’s gun while they were at his home, authorities said.
N.M. governor on need for gun ban: 'Something is very wrong'
“When New Mexicans are afraid to be in crowds, to take their kids to school, to leave a baseball game – when their very right to exist is threatened by the prospect of violence at every turn – something is very wrong,” Lujan Grisham said in a statement.
The top-ranked Republican in the state Senate swiftly denounced the governor’s actions Friday to restrict guns as a way to stem violent crime.
“A child is murdered, the perpetrator is still on the loose, and what does the governor do? She ... targets law-abiding citizens with an unconstitutional gun order,” Sen. Greg Baca of Belen said.
Miranda Viscoli, co-president of New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence, applauded the governor’s order as a courageous and necessary step to curbing gun violence, even if the measure’s legal fate is uncertain.
“If it saves one life, then it’s worth doing,” Viscoli said.
Since 2019, Lujan Grisham has signed a raft of legislation restricting access to guns, including a 2020 “red flag” law allowing police or sheriff’s deputies to ask a court to temporarily remove guns from people who might hurt themselves or others, an extension of background-check requirements to nearly all private gun sales.
She also signed a ban on firearms possession for people under permanent protective orders for domestic violence.
Friday’s order directs state regulators to conduct monthly inspections of firearms dealers statewide to ensure compliance with gun laws.
The state Department of Health will compile a report on gunshot victims at New Mexico hospitals that includes age, race, gender and ethnicity, along with the brand and caliber of firearm involved and other general circumstances.
Associated Press writers Scott Sonner and Gabe Stern in Reno, Nevada; Terry Tang in Phoenix; Rio Yamat in Las Vegas; and Felicia Fonseca in Flagstaff, Arizona, contributed to this story. Stern is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America places journalists in local newsrooms across the country to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (215)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Two pastors worry for their congregants’ safety. Are more guns the answer or the problem?
- Army decided Maine shooting gunman Robert Card shouldn't have a weapon after erratic behavior in July
- 'This is Us' star Milo Ventimiglia quietly married model Jarah Mariano earlier this year
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Doctors could revive bid to block Arizona ban on abortions performed due to genetic abnormality
- Chinese factory activity contracts in October as pandemic recovery falters
- Dabo Swinney goes on rant in response to caller on Clemson football radio show
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Canadian Solar to build $800 million solar panel factory in southeastern Indiana, employ about 1,200
Ranking
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Spending passes $17M in Pennsylvania high court campaign as billionaires, unions and lawyers dig in
- Flavor Flav goes viral after national anthem performance at Milwaukee Bucks game: Watch
- NBA debuts court designs for in-season tournament. Why aren't these big names all in?
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Biden and Jill Biden hand out books and candy while hosting thousands for rainy trick or treating
- Haiti bans charter flights to Nicaragua in blow to migrants fleeing poverty and violence
- Bill to increase transparency of Pennsylvania’s universities passes House
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Federal judge blocks California law banning gun shows at county fairs
Why Bob Saget's Wife Kelly Rizzo Says Matthew Perry’s Death Hit Home for Her
Judge temporarily blocks federal officials from removing razor wire set up by Texas to deter border crossings
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
Matthew Perry’s Ex-Fiancée Molly Hurwitz Speaks Out on His Death
Federal charge says former North Dakota lawmaker traveled to Prague with intent to rape minor
Colombian police comb through cloud forest searching for soccer star’s abducted father