Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry Returning to the U.K. 3 Months After Visiting King Charles III -Capitatum
Prince Harry Returning to the U.K. 3 Months After Visiting King Charles III
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 06:40:17
Prince Harry is making a royally exciting return home.
The 39-year-old will be heading back across the pond for a 10th anniversary celebration of the Invictus Games Foundation—the international sporting event he founded in 2014 for wounded active and veteran members of the armed forces—next month.
As confirmed on the Foundation's social media accounts, Harry will attend a special 'Service of Thanksgiving' at St Paul's Cathedral on May 8 commemorating a decade of the Games changing lives. According to the BBC, the royal family member will give a reading during the service and will be joined by actor Damien Lewis who will recite a poem.
The event will mark Harry's first trip back to the United Kingdom since he went to visit with his father King Charles III in February, shortly after the monarch shared the news of his cancer diagnosis. The moment marked a significant one for the family, as Harry has attended few events with his family since stepping back from royal duties in 2020 and moving with wife Meghan Markle—with whom he shares Prince Archie, 4, and Princess Lilibet, 2—to California.
"I jumped on a plane and went to go see him as soon as I could," Harry told Good Morning America Feb. 16. "I love my family. The fact that I was able to get on a plane and go and see him and spend any time with him, I'm grateful for that."
The Duke of Sussex also reflected on the potential "reunifying effect" his father's illness could have on the family, as he himself has seen in the way hardships bring people together through his work with Invictus Games.
"Throughout all these families, I see it on a day-to-day basis the strength of the family unit coming together," he added. "I think any illness, any sickness brings families together."
Charles' cancer was discovered after the 75-year-old underwent treatment for an enlarged prostate. Though he'd taken a step back from public duties in the months following his diagnosis in order to receive treatment, Buckingham Palace announced April 26 that Charles will soon return to more public-facing duties, beginning with a visit to a cancer treatment center April 30 accompanied by his wife Queen Camilla.
While noting this would be the first of a "number of engagements" for Charles, a spokesperson for the palace also shared an update on his health, stating that His Majesty is "greatly encouraged to be resuming some public-facing duties and very grateful to his medical team for their continued care and expertise."
For more of 2024's royal news, keep reading.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (1)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Exclusive: Kris Jenner on her first Super Bowl commercial and future of 'Kardashians' show
- After Alabama execution, Ohio Republicans push to allow nitrogen gas for death penalty
- Grading every college football coaching hire this offseason from best to worst
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Stock market today: Asia markets mixed ahead of Fed decision; China economic data disappoint
- Student, dad arrested after San Diego school shooting threat; grenades, guns found in home
- Oklahoma teachers mistakenly got up to $50,000 in bonuses. Now they have to return the money.
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Oklahoma gas pipeline explodes, shooting flames 500 feet into the air
Ranking
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Tennessee attorney general sues NCAA over ‘NIL-recruiting ban’ as UT fights back
- The Sweet Advice Demi Moore Gave Her Children After Bruce Willis’ Dementia Diagnosis
- Grading every college football coaching hire this offseason from best to worst
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Grave peril of digital conspiracy theories: ‘What happens when no one believes anything anymore?’
- Grammy Awards host Trevor Noah on why to tune in, being nominated and his post ‘Daily Show’ life
- Islamic Resistance in Iraq group is to blame for Jordan drone strike that killed 3 troops, US says
Recommendation
Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Academy of American Poets receives its largest ever donation
Chiefs vs. 49ers 2024: Vegas odds for spread, moneyline, over/under
Report: Baltimore Orioles set for $1.725 billion sale to David Rubenstein, Mike Arougheti
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Launching today: Reporter Kristen Dahlgren's Pink Eraser Project seeks to end breast cancer as we know it
Shark attacks and seriously injures woman swimming in Sydney Harbor: I heard a soft yell for help
Broadway Star Hinton Battle Dead at 67