Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Track and field's decision to award prize money to Olympic gold medalists criticized -Capitatum
Rekubit-Track and field's decision to award prize money to Olympic gold medalists criticized
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 06:35:16
The Rekubitdecision to give track and field gold medalists $50,000 at the Paris Olympics is being criticized by Olympic sports bodies who said the move "undermines the values of Olympism and the uniqueness of the games."
Last week, World Athletics President Sebastian Coe broke with tradition when it announced that starting this summer, gold medalists across the 48 events on the track and field program would split $2.4 million from the sport's share of the International Olympic Committee's multi-billion dollar income.
World Athletics got about $39.5 million from the IOC for the Tokyo Olympics held in 2021.
"The introduction of prize money for Olympic gold medalists is a pivotal commitment to empowering the athletes and recognizing the critical role they play in the success of any Olympic Games," Coe said in a statement during the announcement.
Coe, a two-time Olympic champion in the men's 1,5000 meters and former lawmaker in the British parliament, said the money acknowledged that "athletes are the stars of the show."
The International Olympic Committee does not pay prize money, though many state governments and national Olympic bodies do.
The break in tradition, however, is not sitting well with the Association of Summer Olympic Committee, which issued a statement on Friday criticizing the move.
"For many, this move undermines the values of Olympism and the uniqueness of the games," the group, also known by the acronym ASOIF, said Friday. "One cannot and should not put a price on an Olympic gold medal and, in many cases, Olympic medalists indirectly benefit from commercial endorsements. This disregards the less privileged athletes lower down the final standings."
In its statement, the ASOIF said World Athletics did not inform nor consult them in advance of last week's announcement and raised concern that it was done one day after the ASOIF General Assembly. Coe is a member of the ASOIF ruling council.
"During the last days, ASOIF's membership has expressed several concerns about World Athletics' announcement," the group, based in the Olympic home city Lausanne, Switzerland, said.
ASOIF suggested that "not all sports could or should replicate this move, even if they wanted to." Paying prize money "goes against the principle of solidarity" and could take money away from governing bodies' work which was their duty compared to commercial promoters of sports events.
"If the Olympic Games are considered as the pinnacle of each sport, then the prize money should be comparable to, and commensurate with, the prizes given in the respective top competitions of each sport," the group said. "This is technically and financially unfeasible."
In its statement, ASOIF also fueled speculation about the IOC presidential contest next year when Thomas Bach's 12-year limit expires. However, his allies want the Olympic Charter changed to let him stay while Coe turns 68 this year and could be stopped by age limit rules.
The backlash from Olympic sports — whose leaders are among about 100 IOC members who elect the president — likely was predicted by Coe, who has elevated the issue of how to reward athletes in the often insular world of IOC politics.
The cash promise was popular with United States athletes in various sports preparing to compete in Paris, who can earn $37,500 from their team for gold medals, $22,500 for silver and $15,000 for bronze. The Paris Olympics start on July 26.
- In:
- Paris
- Olympics
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Juror on Hunter Biden trial says politics was not a factor in this case
- Horoscopes Today, June 11, 2024
- Traffic resumes through Baltimore’s busy port after $100M cleanup of collapsed bridge
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Missouri set to execute death row inmate David Hosier for 2009 murders after governor denies clemency
- Psst! West Elm Just Added an Extra 40% off Their Clearance Sale Section, With Home Decor Starting at $20
- Who is Tony Evans? Pastor who stepped down from church over ‘sin’ committed years ago
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Sam Brown, Jacky Rosen win Nevada Senate primaries to set up November matchup
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Celtics' Kristaps Porzingis has 'rare' left leg injury, questionable for NBA Finals Game 3
- Missouri executes David Hosier in former lover's murder: 'I leave you all with love'
- Arkansas governor calls for special session on tax cuts and funds for hunting and fishing agency
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Billy Ray Cyrus files for divorce from wife Firerose after 8 months of marriage
- Rapper Enchanting Dead at 26
- Federal judge strikes down Florida's ban on transgender health care for children
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Migrant boat sinks off Yemen coast, killing at least 49 people, U.N. immigration agency says
Raytheon discriminates against older job applicants, AARP alleges
Julia Louis-Dreyfus on Tuesday and podcast Wiser Than Me
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
ICE arrests 8 with suspected ISIS ties
One of several South Dakota baseball players charged in rape case pleads guilty to lesser felony
ICE arrests 8 with suspected ISIS ties