Current:Home > MyPrince Harry drops libel case against Daily Mail after damaging pretrial ruling -Capitatum
Prince Harry drops libel case against Daily Mail after damaging pretrial ruling
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:51:29
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry dropped his libel lawsuit Friday against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid following a ruling in which a judge cast doubt on his case as it was headed to trial.
Lawyers for the Duke of Sussex notified the High Court in London that he would not continue the suit against Associated Newspapers Ltd.
No reason was given, but it came the day he was due to hand over documents in the case and after a punishing ruling last month in which a judge ordered Harry to pay the publisher nearly 50,000 pounds (more than $60,000) in legal fees after he failed to achieve victory without going to trial.
The action will leave him on the hook to pay the publisher’s legal fees, which the Daily Mail reported to be 250,000 pounds ($316,000). A spokesperson for the duke said it was premature to speculate about costs.
The case involved a Mail on Sunday article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after walking away from his role as a working member of the royal family.
Harry’s lawyers claimed the article attacked his honesty and integrity by purporting to reveal that court documents “contradicted public statements he had previously made about his willingness to pay for police protection for himself and his family whilst in the U.K.” He said the article would undermine his charity work.
The publisher argued the article expressed an honest opinion and caused no serious harm to his reputation.
In March, Harry sought summary judgment — to win the case without going to trial — and tried to knock out the Mail’s defense but a judge didn’t buy it.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Dec. 8 that the publisher had a “real prospect” of showing statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry, 39, the estranged younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with the royal family in his willingness to go to court and it has become the main forum for his battles with the British press.
Associated Newspapers is one of three tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
He also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety. He cited media intrusion for his decision to leave life as a senior royal and move to the U.S.
Harry’s spokesperson said his focus remains on that case and his family’s safety.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (73)
Related
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Killing of Palestinian farmer adds to growing concerns over settler violence in West Bank
- Tai chi helps boost memory, study finds. One type seems most beneficial
- 30 people dead in Kenya and Somalia as heavy rains and flash floods displace thousands
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Germany’s Scholz faces pressure to curb migration as he meets state governors
- Abortion debate has dominated this election year. Here are Tuesday’s races to watch
- A Class Action Suit Could Upend The Entire Real Estate Industry
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Reinstated wide receiver Martavis Bryant to work out for Cowboys, per report
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Is lettuce good for you? You can guess the answer. But do you know the healthiest type?
- Tyson recalls 30,000 pounds of chicken nuggets after consumers report finding metal pieces
- Killing of Palestinian farmer adds to growing concerns over settler violence in West Bank
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Election 2024: One year to the finish line
- See Corey Gamble's Birthday Message to Beautiful Queen Kris Jenner
- Oklahoma State surges up and Oklahoma falls back in NCAA Re-Rank 1-133 after Bedlam
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
‘Doc’ Antle of Netflix’s ‘Tiger King’ pleads guilty to wildlife trafficking and money laundering
Conflict and America's role in the world: Americans show sympathy for Israeli people; parties divide over aid to Israel, Ukraine
'Sickening and unimaginable' mass shooting in Cincinnati leaves 11-year-old dead, 5 others injured
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Burrow passes for 348 yards and 2 TDs and Bengals’ defense clamps down on Bills in 24-18 win
Savannah Chrisley Shows How Romance With Robert Shiver Just Works With PDA Photos
Blinken seeks to contain Israel-Hamas war; meets with Middle East leaders in Jordan