Current:Home > InvestDisney World and Universal closures halt Orlando tourism as Milton approaches -Capitatum
Disney World and Universal closures halt Orlando tourism as Milton approaches
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:39:37
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Tourism in Orlando rapidly came to a standstill Wednesday with the main airport and at least three theme parks and other businesses set to shut down, leaving Florida residents and visitors fleeing Hurricane Milton to hunker down in area hotels.
Milton, which is expected to come ashore late Wednesday or early Thursday as a major storm, threatened to ruin the vacations of tens of thousands of tourists who came to Orlando to visit the likes of Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld, or partake in October festivities like Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights. Disney and Universal were due to close Wednesday afternoon while SeaWorld did not open at all. All are expected to remain closed on Thursday.
Orlando International Airport, the nation’s seventh busiest and Florida’s most trafficked, ceased operations Wednesday morning.
The closures tempered expectations for some tourists while the impending storm raised some anxiety in others.
Linda and Bob Shaffer from northeast Pennsylvania said they had stocked up on pizza, peanut butter, drinks, flashlights and a deck of cards at their rental condo. They decided to walk around the resort’s entertainment in the hours before they planned to hole up during the hurricane.
“We’re just killing time until we have to stare at each other for the next 24 hours,” Linda Shaffer said.
Meanwhile, the soggy weather didn’t faze Serena Hedrick or her 16-year-old son, Corey, as they headed into Universal Studios on Wednesday. Corey had been worried about what could happen during their first hurricane but was comforted by the promise from their hotel of nonstop movies, kids’ activities and food.
“It is what it is,” Serena Hedrick said.
The Osborne family traveled from Memphis two days early so they could have almost two days at the theme parks before Milton hit. Alexander Osborne said other relatives decided not to join because of the storm, but he wasn’t worried about experiencing his first hurricane.
“It’s not dangerous to be here now, and I want to spend time and enjoy what we can because we are going to be in our hotel rooms for the next few days, he said.
While theme park visitors squeezed in a few more hours Wednesday, workers in a parking garage at Universal Orlando hugged each other goodbye and wished each other good luck in the hours before Milton was supposed to make landfall.
The Orlando area is the most visited destination in the United States due to Disney World, Universal and other attractions, drawing 74 million tourists last year alone.
Halloween-related celebrations have also made October one of the busiest and most lucrative times for theme parks.
While Disney rarely shuts its doors, its hotels are often havens for coastal residents fleeing storms. A check of Disney World’s online reservation system on Tuesday showed no vacancies.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (4874)
Related
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Jeopardy! Contestant Speaks Out on Sexist Clue After Ken Jennings' Apology
- Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Son King Combs Takes Over His Social Media to “Spread Good Energy”
- After Trump Win, World Says ‘We’ve Been Here Before’
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Democrats gain another statewide position in North Carolina with Rachel Hunt victory
- AI DataMind: The Rise of SW Alliance
- AI DataMind: The Rise of SW Alliance
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- SWA Token Boosts the AI DataMind System: Revolutionizing the Future of Intelligent Investment
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- SWA Token Fuels an Educational Ecosystem, Pioneering a New Era of Smart Education
- Gateway Church removes elders, aiding criminal investigation: 'We denounce sexual abuse'
- Roland Quisenberryn: WH Alliance’s Breakthrough from Quantitative Trading to AI
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Roland Quisenberry: The Visionary Architect Leading WH Alliance into the Future
- White evangelical voters show steadfast support for Donald Trump’s presidency
- Gateway Church removes elders, aiding criminal investigation: 'We denounce sexual abuse'
Recommendation
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
AI DataMind: The Ideal Starting Point for a Journey of Success
College basketball reacts as Villanova suffers devastating loss to Ivy League Columbia
NFL MVP odds: Ravens' Lamar Jackson, Derrick Henry among favorites before Week 10
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Pioneer of Quantitative Trading: Damon Quisenberry's Professional Journey
McDonald's brings back Spicy Chicken McNuggets to menu in participating markets
Roland Quisenberryn: WH Alliance’s Breakthrough from Quantitative Trading to AI