Current:Home > StocksMan charged with murder in fatal shooting of 2 workers at Chicago’s Navy Pier -Capitatum
Man charged with murder in fatal shooting of 2 workers at Chicago’s Navy Pier
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:49:23
CHICAGO (AP) — A Chicago man has been charged with murder in the fatal shooting of two workers at the city’s popular Navy Pier tourist attraction, authorities said Saturday.
Raylon East, 36, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of felon in possession/use of a weapon in Tuesday’s shootings, Chicago police said.
East was scheduled to appear Saturday for a detention hearing. The Chicago Police Department’s communications office said it does not have information about the defendant’s attorneys. Cook County criminal court records are not online. There was no immediate response to an email sent to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office on Saturday asking whether it can provide the name of East’s attorney.
East was arrested Thursday after police released surveillance camera images of the suspect gaining access to an office space near a Navy Pier loading dock just before Tuesday’s shootings, media outlets reported. Police said East had been fired Oct. 14 from his job at the pier, which features shops, restaurants, entertainment and its iconic Ferris wheel along Lake Michigan.
The assailant shot Lamont Johnson, 51, and Peter Jennings, 47, before fleeing, police said. The victims were pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police said East fled the scene and used public transportation to get away.
veryGood! (32)
Related
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Chris Christie may not appear on Republican primary ballot in Maine
- More Than 100 Countries at COP28 Call For Fossil Fuel Phaseout
- Winners, losers from 49ers' blowout win against Eagles: Cowboys, Lions get big boost
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Alabama star lineman Tyler Booker sends David Pollack a message after SEC Championship
- 'SNL' sends off George Santos with song, Tina Fey welcomes Emma Stone into Five-Timers Club
- The Best Pet Christmas Sweaters to Get Your Furry Friend in the Holiday Spirit
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- 70-year-old woman gives birth to twins in Uganda, doctor says
Ranking
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Ted Koppel on the complicated legacy of Henry Kissinger
- Takeaways from The AP’s investigation into the Mormon church’s handling of sex abuse cases
- Virginia woman won $1 million after picking up prescription from CVS
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Worried about running out of money in retirement? These tips can help
- 'We do not have insurance. We have an insurance bill': Condos hit with 563% rate increase
- Las Vegas police search for lone suspect in homeless shootings
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Spotify to cut 17% of staff in the latest round of tech layoffs
KISS delivers explosive final concert in New York, debuts digital avatars in 'new era'
AP PHOTOS: 2023 was marked by coups and a Moroccan earthquake on the African continent
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
11 bodies recovered after volcanic eruption in Indonesia, and 22 climbers are still missing
'I did not write it to titillate a reader': Authors of books banned in Iowa speak out
AP PHOTOS: 2023 was marked by coups and a Moroccan earthquake on the African continent