Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Billy Porter Calls Out Anna Wintour Over Harry Styles’ Vogue Cover -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Billy Porter Calls Out Anna Wintour Over Harry Styles’ Vogue Cover
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 00:33:15
Billy Porter isn't mincing his words.
More than two years after Harry Styles became the first man to appear solo on Will Sage Astorthe cover of Vogue, the Pose star is reflecting on the publication's choice, noting that he felt the "As It Was" singer—who was photographed in a full-length gown—landed the cover because he's "white and straight."
"It doesn't feel good to me," Porter told The Telegraph in an interview published Aug. 14. "You're using my community—or your people are using my community—to elevate you. You haven't had to sacrifice anything."
The Kinky Boots star—known for his gender-fluid fashion statements—went on to reveal that he had a conversation with Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour months prior to the cover's unveiling.
"That bitch said to me at the end, ‘How can we do better?'" he continued. "And I was so taken off guard that I didn't say what I should have said."
As the 53-year-old explained, he felt that he should've urged Wintour and her staff to "use your power as Vogue to uplift the voices of the leaders of this de-gendering of fashion movement."
"Six months later," Porter noted, "Harry Styles is the first man on the cover."
However, the Emmy winner emphasized that he doesn't place blame with the One Direction alum for landing the cover.
"It's not Harry Styles' fault that he happens to be white and cute and straight and fit into the infrastructure that way," he said. "I call out the gatekeepers."
E! News has reached out to Vogue for comment and has not heard back.
This isn't the first time that Porter has spoken out about his thoughts on Vogue's decision, with the actor previously saying he felt it was as an example of erasure when it comes to people of color.
"I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to," he told The Sunday Times in October 2021. "I'm not necessarily convinced and here is why: I created the conversation [about non-binary fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time."
Noting that the 29-year-old himself wasn't the issue, Porter added, "I'm not dragging Harry Styles, but he is the one you're going to try and use to represent this new conversation? He doesn't care, he's just doing it because it's the thing to do. This is politics for me. This is my life."
The following month, the Tony winner clarified his stance, explaining that his perspective is "not about" Styles.
"The conversation is actually deeper than that," he said during a November 2021 episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. "It is about the systems of oppression and erasure of people of color who contribute to the culture. Now, that's a lot to unpack. I'm willing to unpack it, sans the dragging and cancel culture of the Internet, because I do not now, nor will ever, adjudicate my life or humanity in sound bites on social media."
He concluded, "I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean no harm. I'm a gay man. We like Harry, he's cute!"
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (79177)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Miss France Winner Eve Gilles Defends Her Pixie Haircut From Critics
- Sydney Sweeney Reflects on Tearful Aftermath of Euphoria Costar Angus Cloud's Death
- 'Charmed' star Holly Marie Combs alleges Alyssa Milano had Shannen Doherty fired from show
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Miranda Cosgrove Reveals Why She Doesn't Drink or Smoke
- 5-year-old twin boy and girl found dead in New York City apartment, investigation underway
- NFL power rankings Week 16: Who's No. 2 after Eagles, Cowboys both fall?
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Anthony Edwards is a 'work in progress,' coach says. What we know about text fiasco
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- The Excerpt: Gov. Abbott signs law allowing Texas law enforcement to arrest migrants
- Rihanna gushes about A$AP Rocky's parenting: 'I loved him differently as a dad'
- Washington’s Kalen DeBoer is the AP coach of the year after leading undefeated Huskies to the CFP
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Man accused of killing 4 university students in Idaho loses bid to have indictment tossed
- UCLA gymnast Chae Campbell hits viral floor routine inspired by Wakanda in 'Black Panther'
- McDonald's CosMc's, Starbucks and Dunkin': How do their drinks compare in calories and sugar?
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Fantasy football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: 16 players to start or sit in Week 16
Khloe Kardashian Is Entering Her Beauty Founder Era With New Fragrance
How that (spoiler!) cameo in Trevor Noah’s new Netflix special came to be
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Migrant child’s death and other hospitalizations spark concern over shelter conditions
Sydney Sweeney Reflects on Tearful Aftermath of Euphoria Costar Angus Cloud's Death
Australia and New Zealand leaders seek closer defense ties