Current:Home > NewsWeekend progress made against Southern California wildfires -Capitatum
Weekend progress made against Southern California wildfires
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 03:30:21
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Firefighters gained further ground over the weekend against three Southern California wildfires as authorities in northern Nevada lifted the last of evacuation orders for all homes Sunday.
More than 8,000 personnel combined are battling the three biggest fires burning in the state, all ignited during a triple-digit heatwave at the start of the month.
The largest blaze is the Bridge Fire at 85 square miles (220 square kilometers), which exploded dramatically through the Angeles National Forest east of Los Angeles at the start of the week. It has torched at least 49 buildings and forced the evacuation of 10,000 people. The fire was 9% contained Sunday morning, with firefighters gaining 4% overnight.
Officials said Sunday the focus continues to be on the northwest flank, where the fire is the most active, but upcoming rain and humidity will aid firefighting efforts.
“That’s not gonna stop this fire, what that is gonna allow is ... operation folks to go out there and be able to get that line constructed,” said fire behavior analyst Garret Hazelton on Saturday.
The Line Fire in Southern California
The Line Fire, which grew slightly overnight to 60 square miles (155 square kilometers) in the San Bernardino Mountains, was 36% contained Sunday.
Officials said it was active in the early morning due to a dry air mass in higher elevations, but cool weather conditions prevailed across the fire area. Light rain was possible late Sunday and into Monday.
Authorities have said a delivery driver purposely started the Line Fire in Southern California on Sept. 5.
Arson-related charges have been filed against Justin Wayne Halstenberg, who is accused of starting the Line Fire. He is due to be arraigned on Monday, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office. Halstenberg’s mother, Connie Halstenberg, told the Los Angeles Times that her son “did not light that fire.”
The Airport Fire in Southern California
The Airport Fire in Orange and Riverside counties remained at 37 square miles (96 square kilometers) and 19% containment as of Sunday.
“We’re being helped by the weather and that weather will continue for a couple of days so we’re making good progress,” said Orange County Fire Authority Operations Section Chief Albert Ward.
Firefighting efforts are expected to get a significant boost from thick fog and high humidity Sunday night, and from cooler temperatures and light rain Sunday and Monday, according to the fire authority.
Crews were able to gain access to an area previously blocked by a rock slide. However, the southern edge of the fire is still marked by “very rugged inaccessible country” that will require helicopters to bring crews in or a long hike, Ward said Sunday.
Despite favorable weather, there is still fire risk above 4,000 feet (1,200 meters) in elevation, which remains dry. Smoldering vegetation up high can roll downhill and ignite unburned vegetation, the fire authority said.
The Davis fire in northern Nevada
In northern Nevada, Washoe County fire officials say evacuations will be lifted Sunday for all homes — the last of nearly 20,000 evacuees.
The Davis fire was estimated at 77% containment on Sunday.
Officials said the fire now is classified as being in a state of mop-up with many restoration and repair projects underway. More than 600 personnel are currently working the wildland blaze that destroyed 14 homes and burned through nearly 9 square miles (23 square kilometers) of timber and brush along the Sierra Nevada’s eastern slope near Lake Tahoe.
___
Berry reported from Phoenix, Arizona. Rodriguez reported from San Francisco.
veryGood! (838)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Houston prosecutors find no evidence of efforts to sway 2022 elections but charge a county worker
- USA Basketball's Grant Hill has rough edges to smooth before 2028 Olympics
- Patrick Mahomes Shares One Change Travis Kelce Made for Taylor Swift
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- A proposed amendment lacks 1 word that could drive voter turnout: ‘abortion’
- Houston prosecutors find no evidence of efforts to sway 2022 elections but charge a county worker
- I-94 closed along stretch of northwestern Indiana after crew strikes gas main
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Feeling itchy? Tiny mites may bite humans more after cicada emergence
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Patrick Mahomes Shares One Change Travis Kelce Made for Taylor Swift
- WHO declares mpox outbreaks in Africa a global health emergency as a new form of the virus spreads
- Halle Berry Reveals the “Hard Work” Behind Her Anti-Aging Secrets
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Jorō spiders, the mysterious arachnids invading the US, freeze when stressed, study shows
- Death Valley’s scorching heat kills second man this summer
- Blake Lively posts domestic violence hotline amid 'It Ends With Us' backlash
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Tuesday August 13, 2024
The Daily Money: Do Harris ads masquerade as news?
Wyoming reporter caught using artificial intelligence to create fake quotes and stories
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Man arrested at Ferguson protest is a St. Louis police oversight board member, DNC alternate
FTC ban on noncompete agreements comes under legal attack
Trump's campaign office in Virginia burglarized, authorities searching for suspect