Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-The Mirage casino, which ushered in an era of Las Vegas Strip megaresorts in the ‘90s, is closing -Capitatum
SignalHub-The Mirage casino, which ushered in an era of Las Vegas Strip megaresorts in the ‘90s, is closing
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:41
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The SignalHubiconic Mirage hotel-casino on the Las Vegas Strip will shut its doors this summer, the end of an era for a property credited with helping transform Sin City into an ultra-luxury resort destination.
The July 17 closure will clear the way for major renovations and construction on the 80-acre (32-hectare) property, which is to reopen in 2027 as the Hard Rock Las Vegas, featuring a hotel tower in the shape of a guitar soaring nearly 700 feet (about 210 meters) above the heart of the Strip.
“We’d like to thank the Las Vegas community and team members for warmly welcoming Hard Rock after enjoying 34 years at The Mirage,” Jim Allen, chairman of Hard Rock International, said Wednesday in a statement announcing the closure.
It will be the second time this year that a Strip casino shutters. The Tropicana Las Vegas closed in April after 67 years to make room for a $1.5 billion baseball stadium planned as the future home of the relocating Oakland A’s.
Developed by former casino mogul Steve Wynn, the Mirage opened with a Polynesian theme as the Strip’s first megaresort in 1989, spurring a building boom on the famous boulevard through the 1990s.
Its volcano fountain was one of the first sidewalk attractions, predating the Venetian’s canals and the Bellagio’s dancing fountains. It was known as a venue where tourists could see Siegfried and Roy taming white tigers or a Cirque du Soleil act set to a Beatles soundtrack.
The final curtain on the Beatles-themed show, which brought Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr back together for public appearances throughout its 18-year run, also comes down in July.
Hard Rock International said Wednesday that more than 3,000 employees will be laid off and it expects to pay out $80 million in severance.
The Culinary Workers Union, which has represented about 1,700 employees at the Mirage since it opened, said in a statement that the contract it won last year ensures laid-off workers will get $2,000 for each year of service. The contract also gives them the option of being called back to work and maintaining their seniority when the hotel reopens.
“Culinary Union will continue to ensure workers are protected and centered in the property’s future,” the statement said.
The Mirage became the first Strip property to be run by a Native American tribe in 2022, after Hard Rock International, which is owned by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, purchased it from MGM Resorts in a cash deal worth nearly $1.1 billion.
Hard Rock said at the time that the property would remain open and operate under the Mirage brand for several years while it finalized renovation plans.
The Mirage is accepting no bookings for after July 14 and said any reservations past that date will be canceled and refunded.
veryGood! (1311)
Related
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Scores dead in Iran explosions at event honoring general killed by U.S. drone strike
- Nebraska bill would add asphyxiation by nitrogen gas as form of execution for death row inmates
- Lawyer for alleged victim of Dani Alves files legal complaint after video circulates on social media
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Police officer convicted of killing a Colorado man is set to learn if he will spend time behind bars
- Daniel Levy on Netflix's 'Good Grief,' his bad habits and the 'Barbie' role that got away
- Abortion initiative hits milestone for getting in front of Florida voters
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Is 'the spark' a red flag? Sometimes. Experts say look for this in a relationship instead
Ranking
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Wisconsin’s Democratic governor says Biden must visit battleground state often to win it
- 'Saved by the Bell,' 'Speed Racer' actor Christian Oliver killed in plane crash with 2 daughters
- Church says priest who married teen has been defrocked
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- The year in review: 2023's most popular movies, music, books and Google searches
- Sweethearts updates Valentine's conversation heart candy to reflect modern day situationships
- Vessel loaded with fertilizer sinks in the Danube in Serbia, prompting environmental fears
Recommendation
Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
Michael Bolton Shares Brain Tumor Diagnosis
Hezbollah leader says his group must retaliate for suspected Israeli strike in Beirut
Los Angeles County has thousands of ‘unclaimed dead.’ These investigators retrace their lives
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
UN chief names a new envoy to scope out the chances of reviving Cyprus peace talks
FDA approves Florida's plan to import cheaper drugs from Canada
Some fans call Beyoncé 'Mother': Here's how she celebrates motherhood on and off stage