Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:34:51
RUIDOSO,Poinbank Exchange N.M. (AP) — Full-time residents of Ruidoso will be allowed to return to their village Monday morning as federal authorities seek to prosecute whoever started a pair of New Mexico wildfires that killed two people and destroyed or damaged more than 1,400 structures.
The FBI said it is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrests and convictions of those responsible for the South Fork Fire and Salt Fire in southern New Mexico, which forced thousands to flee.
The federal agency also said it was seeking public assistance in identifying the cause of the fires discovered June 17 near the village of Ruidoso.
But the notice also pointedly suggested human hands were to blame, saying the reward was for information leading to the arrest and conviction of “the person or persons responsible for starting the fires.
Lincoln County Manager Randall Camp said at a news conference Saturday that “we are approaching a thousand homes lost” in the fires.
President Joe Biden issued a disaster declaration for parts of southern New Mexico on Thursday. The move freed up funding and more resources to help with recovery efforts including temporary housing, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property and other emergency work in Lincoln County and on lands belonging to the Mescalero Apache Tribe.
The National Interagency Fire Center said the South Fork Fire, which reached 26 square miles (67 square kilometers), was 31% contained Sunday. It said the Salt Fire that has spread over 12 square miles (31 square kilometers) was now 7% contained.
Both fires had been at zero containment Friday. Full containment isn’t expected until July 15, according to fire officials.
More than 1,100 firefighters continued to fight the flames in steep and rocky terrain Sunday.
The South Fork and Salt fires are still burning on both sides of Ruidoso and a threat of flash floods still looms over the village.
Authorities said downed power lines, damaged water, sewer and gas lines plus flooding in burn scars continued to pose risks to firefighters and the public.
New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham toured some of the disaster area Saturday with Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Deanne Criswell.
Even with federal and state assistance on the table, Ruidoso Mayor Lynn Crawford estimates it could take at least five years for the area to fully recover.
Ruidoso officials said those wanting to return home Monday must bring drinking water and at least a week’s worth of food. They warned residents that homes may be without gas, electricity or water.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- African nation threatens Apple with legal action over alleged blood minerals in its gadgets
- Mystery of 'Midtown Jane Doe' solved after 55 years as NYC cops ID teen murder victim
- Slipknot announces Here Comes the Pain concert tour, return of Knotfest: How to get tickets
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Jeff Daniels loads up for loathing in 'A Man in Full' with big bluster, Georgia accent
- Jerry Seinfeld Shares His Kids' Honest Thoughts About His Career in Rare Family Update
- Selling the OC Stars Reveal the Secrets Behind Their Head-Turning Fashion
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Kentucky Derby has had three filly winners. New challenges make it hard to envision more.
Ranking
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- When do cicadas come out? See 2024 emergence map as sightings are reported across the South
- Kansas tornado leaves 1 dead, destroys nearly two dozen homes, officials say
- Expanding clergy sexual abuse probe targets New Orleans Catholic church leaders
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- Google and Apple now threatened by the US antitrust laws helped build their technology empires
- Brewers, Rays have benches-clearing brawl as Jose Siri and Abner Uribe throw punches
- Employer of visiting nurse who was killed didn’t protect her and should be fined, safety agency says
Recommendation
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
The Best Mother's Day Gifts for the Most Paw-some Dog Mom in Your Life
Feds say 'grandparent scam' targeted older Americans out of millions. Here's how to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Minnesota man who regrets joining Islamic State group faces sentencing on terrorism charge
Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
Why Maria Georgas Walked Away From Being the Next Bachelorette
From The Alamo to Tex-Mex: David Begnaud explores San Antonio
Why Olivia Culpo Dissolved Her Lip Fillers Ahead of Her Wedding to Christian McCaffrey