Current:Home > InvestBobby Berk explains leaving 'Queer Eye,' confirms drama with Tan France: 'We will be fine' -Capitatum
Bobby Berk explains leaving 'Queer Eye,' confirms drama with Tan France: 'We will be fine'
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 19:54:13
After a couple months of speculation, Bobby Berk is setting the record straight on why he decided to leave Netflix's "Queer Eye."
Berk told Vanity Fair in an interview published Thursday that he'd been under the impression that the Fab Five's time together was over when their contracts expired in 2022, and he'd moved on to other endeavors when he was contacted about signing a new contract to appear on the show.
"The Fab Five and the crew, we all stood there, and we took pictures and cried," Berk said of the last day of filming. "We thought we were done. Mentally and emotionally, I thought we all moved on. I know I did, and I started planning other things."
Bobby Berk didn't think 'Queer Eye' would come back after Season 8
"Queer Eye," a reboot of the 2000s show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," debuted on Netflix in early 2018 with a whole new cast of experts: Berk, Antoni Porowski, Jonathan Van Ness, Karamo Brown and Tan France.
Then, in November, the author and interior design firm founder announced "with a heavy heart" that Season 8 – which premiered Wednesday – would be his last.
Berk told Vanity Fair that the other Fab Five members were considering not signing on for more "Queer Eye" when they were presented with the option last fall. He did not sign the contract.
"We'd just assumed that the show wouldn't come back if we all didn’t come back," he explained. "I was like, I’m not going to be having FOMO 'cause the show is not going to happen. I had become at peace with it."
He added, "All the plans that I had made when I thought we weren't coming back, I just wasn’t willing to change those. I would have had to pump the brakes on multiple other projects that are already in process. We had mentally just prepared ourselves to move on — that's why I left."
It wasn't easy leaving the Fab Five: "'Queer Eye' has been the most amazing gift that I couldn’t have ever imagined," Berk said. "I’m leaving something that is a huge part of my life. Even though it’s my decision, it still wasn’t an easy one."
In January, "Queer Eye" won a Primetime Emmy Award in the outstanding structured reality program category for the sixth time in a row, earning Berk, who was credited as a producer, his first Emmy.
'More vital than ever':Amid LGBTQ hate, 'Queer Eye' means more than ever before
Bobby Berk confirms he and Tan France had 'a situation'
When Berk announced his departure from the show, rumors swirled about there being friction among the effervescent and seemingly close-knit Fab Five. Berk confirmed what fans noticed: that the interior design expert had unfollowed costar France, the fashion guru, on Instagram.
"I want people to know that Tan and I — we will be fine," Berk told Vanity Fair.
"Tan and I had a moment," he said. "There was a situation, and that's between Tan and I, and it has nothing to do with the show. It was something personal that had been brewing — and nothing romantic, just to clarify that."
Berk added, "Should I have unfollowed Tan? No. Maybe I should have just muted him. But that day, I was angry, and that’s the end of it. We became like siblings — and siblings are always going to fight."
They have been on better terms recently, he said, as the two "embraced each other" after they won an Emmy earlier this month.
'It's not been an easy decision':Bobby Berk announces he's leaving 'Queer Eye'
veryGood! (87365)
Related
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- En busca de soluciones para los parques infantiles donde el calor quema
- Cardi B Debuts New Look in First Public Appearance Since Giving Birth to Baby No. 3
- The Masked Singer's First Season 12 Celebrity Reveal Is a Total Touchdown
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Wendy's is offering $1 Frostys until the end of September
- Get in the holiday spirit: Hallmark releases its 'Countdown to Christmas' movie lineup
- Alabama death row inmate's murders leaves voids in victims' families: 'I'll never forget'
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- California fire agency employee charged with arson spent months as inmate firefighter
Ranking
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Rooting out Risk: A Town’s Challenge to Build a Safe Inclusive Park
- Opinion: Pac-12 revival deserves nickname worthy of cheap sunglasses
- Buying or selling a home? Here are Tennessee's top real-estate firms
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Opinion: Who is Vince McMahon? He can't hide true self in 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix series
- A Black student punished for his hairstyle wants to return to the Texas school he left
- Egg prices again on the rise, with a dozen eggs over $3 in August: Is bird flu to blame?
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Kane Brown's Most Adorable Dad Moments Are Guaranteed to Make Your Heart Sing
Opinion: Pac-12 revival deserves nickname worthy of cheap sunglasses
Climate solution: In the swelter of hurricane blackouts, some churches stay cool on clean power
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
'Megalopolis' review: Francis Ford Coppola's latest is too weird for words
Chiefs' Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes explain Travis Kelce’s slow start
Local officials in upstate New York acquitted after ballot fraud trial