Current:Home > Finance3 South African Navy crew members die after 7 are swept off submarine deck -Capitatum
3 South African Navy crew members die after 7 are swept off submarine deck
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 23:04:53
Three South African Navy personnel died and a senior officer was in critical condition after seven crew members of a submarine were swept off its deck by big waves as a helicopter attempted a "vertical transfer" of supplies, the country's Department of Defense said Thursday.
The accident happened Wednesday as an Air Force Lynx helicopter was attempting what's known as a "vertrep" — or vertical replenishment — of supplies to the SAS Manthatisi submarine on the ocean surface near Kommetjie, off the coast of Cape Town, the department said.
The operation was immediately called off and a rescue effort was launched.
All seven submariners were recovered, but three were pronounced dead. A crew member from the helicopter who was dispatched as a "surface swimmer" to assist in the rescue operation was also recovered and is in the hospital alongside the four surviving submariners.
The department identified the three victims as Lieutenant Commander Gillian Elizabeth Hector, Master Warrant Officer William Masela Mathipa and Warrant Officer Class One Mmokwapa Lucas Mojela. Multiple South African news outlets reported that Hector had been the first woman to ever navigate a military submarine for any African nation.
The National Sea Rescue Institute and other emergency services were called in to help with the rescue, the Department of Defense said, adding that there would be an inquiry into the failed operation and the resulting deaths.
Cape Town and other areas on South Africa's south coast have been hit by extremely rough seas since last weekend, caused by a phenomenon known as "spring tide."
South African armed forces analyst Dean Wingrin told the defenceWeb website that the submarine was moving to the Cape Town waterfront for a three-day navy exhibition starting Saturday. The navy has planned the exhibition to mark South Africa's Heritage Day national holiday on Sunday.
"This is a sad loss for our nation and for our brave armed forces in particular who routinely face danger in order so that all of us can be safe and secure," South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said in a statement. "We wish the injured personnel a full recovery from the physical and psychological trauma they experienced during this tragedy.We also appreciate the efforts of all role players who, at great risk to themselves, undertook the rescue and recovery operation."
In a Facebook post, the South African National Defense Force said members of the public were bringing flowers in memory of the victims to the chapel inside the Navy Museum in Simon's Town.
Tribute to SA Navy members || Chapel inside the Navy Museum in Simon's Town. Members of the public are bringing flowers in memory of the deceased submariners.#SANDF#SANavy#RIPSASoldiers
Posted by SA National Defence Force on Thursday, September 21, 2023
The SAS Manthatisi is one of three German-built Type 209/1400 Heroine-class submarines in the South African navy fleet and had returned to the water earlier this year after undergoing maintenance work.
- In:
- Rescue
- Submarine
- South Africa
veryGood! (3436)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Nike names Elliott Hill as CEO, replacing John Donahoe
- Apple releases AI software for a smarter Siri on the iPhone 16
- Zyn fan Tucker Carlson ditches brand over politics, but campaign finance shows GOP support
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Porn-making former University of Wisconsin campus leader argues for keeping his teaching job
- Voters split on whether Harris or Trump would do a better job on the economy: AP-NORC poll
- Bad weather cited in 2 fatal Nebraska plane crashes minutes apart
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Wheel of Fortune Contestants' Bad Luck Curse Shocked Even Ryan Seacrest
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 7 MLB superstars who can win their first World Series title in 2024
- Kyle Okposo announces retirement after winning Stanley Cup with Florida Panthers
- Michael Madsen Accuses Wife of Driving Son to Kill Himself in Divorce Filing
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Brad Pitt and George Clooney Reveal New Ocean’s Movie Is in the Works
- Giant, flying Joro spiders make creepy arrival in Pennsylvania just in time for Halloween
- Over two dozen injured on school field trip after wagon flips at Wisconsin apple orchard
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Former Bad Boy Rapper Shyne Barrow Says Sean Diddy Combs Destroyed His Life
M&M's announces Peanut butter & jelly flavor. Here's what you need to know.
Nebraska resurgence just the latest Matt Rhule college football rebuild bearing fruit
Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
Youth activists plan protests to demand action on climate as big events open in NYC
Krispy Kreme brings back pumpkin spice glazed doughnut, offers $2 dozens this weekend
Takeaways from AP report on risks of rising heat for high school football players