Current:Home > ContactTory Lanez Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Megan Thee Stallion Shooting -Capitatum
Tory Lanez Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:25
Tory Lanez will spend up to a decade in prison after being convicted in the shooting case involving Megan Thee Stallion.
The 10-year prison sentence was handed down by a Los Angeles judge on Aug. 8—nearly eight months after a jury found the 31-year-old guilty on three felony counts including discharging a firearm with gross negligence, assault with a semiautomatic firearm and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle—according to NBC News.
The Grammy winner accused Lanez of shooting her in the feet after they left a party in July 2020. He was arrested on July 12 and was released shortly after on $35,000 bail, E! News previously confirmed. The "Say It" rapper, born Daystar Peterson, had pleaded not guilty to all three charges. According to the Associated Press, in December 2022, Lanez's lawyer alleged in court that the shots were fired by a friend of Megan's and he tried to stop the shooting.
E! News has reached out to Lanez' reps for comment but hasn't heard back.
During his trial, Lanez did not take the stand in his own defense, but he released an album in September 2020 disputing Megan's version of events.
Megan, whose name is Megan Pete, broke her silence on the incident just days after the shooting, sharing that she was "incredibly grateful to be alive."
"I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me," she said in a statement posted to social media at the time. "I was never arrested, the police officers drove me to the hospital where I underwent surgery to remove the bullets."
She went on to note that she nonetheless expected to make a full recovery.
"This whole experience was an eye opener and a blessing in disguise," the 28-year-old added. "I hate that it took this experience for me to learn how to protect my energy."
Earlier this year, the "Sweetest Pie" artist, who testified during Lanez's trial, reflected on her healing process and outlook on life moving forward.
"I'm in a happier place, but I still have anxiety," she told Elle in April. "Talking about being shot still makes me emotional. I've started journaling as a way to better process my thoughts, hopes, and fears. Prayer has also played a therapeutic role in my healing, because I can have honest and unfiltered conversations with God without any judgment."
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (25392)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Liberian president Weah to face opponent Boakai for 2nd time in runoff vote
- MLB was right to delay Astros pitcher Bryan Abreu’s suspension – but the process stinks
- Pham, Gurriel homer, Diamondbacks power past Phillies 5-1 to force NLCS Game 7
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- At least 7 killed, more than 25 injured in 158-vehicle pileup on Louisiana highway
- At least 50 people are kidnapped over two days in northern Cameroon by unknown gunmen
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker takes his fight for abortion access national with a new self-funded group
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- New York selects 3 offshore wind projects as it transitions to renewable energy
Ranking
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Why Travis Kelce’s Dad Says Charming Taylor Swift Didn’t Get the Diva Memo
- Jenna Ellis becomes latest Trump lawyer to plead guilty over efforts to overturn Georgia’s election
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker takes his fight for abortion access national with a new self-funded group
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- California regulators suspend recently approved San Francisco robotaxi service for safety reasons
- Horoscopes Today, October 22, 2023
- Pan American Games start in disarray with cleaners still working around the National Stadium
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Chevron to buy Hess for $53 billion, marking the second giant oil deal this month
4 suspected North Korean defectors found in small boat in South Korean waters
Police in Massachusetts are searching for an armed man in connection with his wife’s shooting death
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Migrant bus conditions 'disgusting and inhuman,' says former vet who escorted convoys
Myanmar reinstates family visits to prisoners to end a ban started during the pandemic
Michelle Obama to narrate audio edition of ‘Where the Wild Things Are’