Current:Home > MyEthermac|Minnesota man acquitted of killing 3 people, wounding 2 others in case that turned alibi defense -Capitatum
Ethermac|Minnesota man acquitted of killing 3 people, wounding 2 others in case that turned alibi defense
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 04:31:22
ST. PAUL,Ethermac Minn. (AP) — A judge has acquitted a Minnesota man accused of fatally shooting three people and wounding two others in St. Paul last year in a case that turned on an alibi defense.
Ramsey County Judge Kelly Olmstead on Friday found Antonio Dupree Wright not guilty on all charges, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported. Wright, 42, of Minneapolis, had waived a jury trial, allowing the judge to decide his fate.
“There’s insufficient evidence to conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is the person who committed these heinous crimes,” Olmstead said.
Prosecutors had charged Wright with second-degree murder and attempted murder, alleging he was the masked man who fired a handgun at the victims at a St. Paul duplex on Sept. 4, 2022. Killed were Angelica Gonzales, 33, Cory Freeman, 42, and Maisha Spaulding, 44.
“There is no question that the victims were intentionally targeted for murder,” Olmstead said. “The sole, true issue in this case is the identity of the shooter.”
Wright’s attorney, Joe Friedberg, argued in his written closing that Wright had a “proven” alibi: He was in Chicago at the time.
“This is just a horrible case of a massacre, where the state charged the wrong guy,” Friedberg told the newspaper after the verdict.
On the day of the shooting, Wright’s aunt testified during the trial, he stopped by her Chicago home unannounced at 10 a.m. for a visit. His mother testified he went to her apartment at 10 p.m., which would have been over five hours after the shooting. She identified the man seen on surveillance video from the apartment lobby as her son.
Friedberg also argued that witnesses had testified the shooter had dreadlocks, which Wright didn’t have.
Stephen Anderson, who was shot in the head and hands, had told investigators that the gunman was named Antonio, the charges said. Anderson also picked Wright out of a photo lineup as the shooter. But Anderson backtracked at trial, saying the shooter had dreadlocks and was not Wright.
“While we are disappointed in the outcome, we respect the court’s decision,” prosecutors said in a statement.
Wright still faces kidnapping and attempted murder charges from a separate incident and remains jailed on $2 million bail.
veryGood! (595)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- In A Landmark Case, A Dutch Court Orders Shell To Cut Its Carbon Emissions Faster
- The White House Wants To Fight Climate Change And Help People. Cleveland Led The Way
- At least 41 killed in rebel attack on Ugandan school near Congo border
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Jennifer Coolidge Responds to Jennifer Aniston's The White Lotus Season 3 Casting Plea
- Hundreds more missing after migrant boat capsizes off Greek coast
- Bella Hadid Shares Insight Into Her Battle With Depression and Fatigue Amid Lyme Disease Journey
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Tackling 'Energy Justice' Requires Better Data. These Researchers Are On It
Ranking
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Former U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson quits politics after being sanctioned for misleading Parliament
- Ariana Madix's Revenge Dress for Vanderpump Rules Reunion Is Hotter Than You Expected
- Cyclone Biparjoy makes landfall in India and Pakistan packing powerful rain and wind after mass-evacuations
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- The Mona Lisa bridge mystery: Has the world's most famous painting finally given up a secret?
- Disney’s Live-Action Lilo & Stitch Finally Finds Its Lilo
- Relive the Kardashian-Jenners' Most Epic Pranks
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Vanderpump Rules' Oliver Saunders Defends Raquel Leviss Amid Tom Sandoval Affair
8 workers apparently tried to quit their jobs at a drug cartel call center. They were killed and their body parts were placed in bags.
As Extreme Heat Kills Hundreds, Oregon Steps Up Push To Protect People
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
How Wynonna Judd Honored Late Mom Naomi at CMT Music Awards 2023
Ecuadoran woman who knocked on coffin during her own wake has died
Blac Chyna Shares Her Kids King and Dream's Reactions to Her Breast and Butt Reduction Surgeries