Current:Home > MarketsNebraska teen accused of causing train derailment for 'most insane' YouTube video -Capitatum
Nebraska teen accused of causing train derailment for 'most insane' YouTube video
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:02:11
A 17-year-old Nebraska boy is facing felony charges after he was accused of derailing a train and posting the subsequent crash on YouTube.
The Bennet, Nebraska boy was charged in Lancaster County Juvenile Court last week, though prosecutors have filed to get the case moved over to adult court, according to documents obtained by multiple local outlets.
The teen is accused of tampering with the components of a railway on April 21, causing a BNSF Railway train loaded with coal to derail. Investigators said the resulting damage to two locomotives and five cars totaled around $350,000, according to KLKN-TV and WVIT-TV.
After the accident, the teen, who was described as a train enthusiast, reportedly notified authorities of the derailment. When they arrived and told the 17-year-old they did not yet know the cause of the crash, he replied: "Obviously a switch was flipped the wrong way,” according to local reports.
The train conductor later told investigators that the crash was caused by a misaligned switch, which was found to be missing a padlock that is usually attached to prevent unintended movement.
Police said in an affidavit that the teen was able to describe to them where the switch was and how it worked and that they discovered a camera tripod set up near the crash site just minutes before the accident, reported KOLN-TV.
The teen also reportedly showed police a video he took on his phone, according to KLKN-TV. Two days later, a video investigators believe to be linked to the teen was uploaded to YouTube titled: "Loaded BNSF Arbor COLLIDES and DERAILS in Bennet, NE! MOST INSANE VIDEO I'VE EVER TAKEN!"
The teen has been charged with two felony counts of criminal mischief for intentionally damaging or tampering with property. USA TODAY has reached out to Lancaster County Attorney Patrick F. Condon and BNSF Railway for comment.
veryGood! (93387)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Why 'My Old Ass' is the 'holy grail' of coming-of-age movies
- Footage of motorcade racing JFK to the hospital after he was shot sells for $137,500 at auction
- Why 'My Old Ass' is the 'holy grail' of coming-of-age movies
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs impregnated victim, Yung Miami encouraged abortion, lawsuit alleges
- The Best Horror Movies Available to Stream for Halloween 2024
- Machine Gun Kelly talks 1 year of sobriety: 'I can forgive myself'
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Martha Stewart Shares the Cooking Hack Chefs Have Been Gatekeeping for Years
Ranking
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- Michigan’s top court won’t intervene in dispute over public records and teachers
- Cowboys find much-needed 'joy' in win over Giants after gut check of two losses
- Alabama carries out the nation's second nitrogen gas execution
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Salvador Perez's inspiring Royals career gets MLB postseason return: 'Kids want to be like him'
- Officials warn that EVs could catch fire if inundated with saltwater from Hurricane Helene
- Joliet, Illinois, Plans to Source Its Future Drinking Water From Lake Michigan. Will Other Cities Follow?
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Opinion: Antonio Pierce's cold 'business' approach reflects reality of Raiders' challenges
Miami Dolphins to start Tyler Huntley at quarterback against Titans
'Still floating': Florida boaters ride out Hurricane Helene
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
The final 3 anti-abortion activists have been sentenced in a Tennessee clinic blockade
Dozens dead and millions without power after Helene’s deadly march across southeastern US
The State Fair of Texas opens with a new gun ban after courts reject challenge