Current:Home > FinanceGeorge Santos says he’ll ditch GOP, run as independent, in bid to return to Congress after expulsion -Capitatum
George Santos says he’ll ditch GOP, run as independent, in bid to return to Congress after expulsion
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 05:20:46
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos of New York said Friday that he will leave the Republican Party and run as an independent in a bid to return to Congress after having been expelled while facing federal fraud charges.
In social media postings, Santos criticized Friday’s vote by the GOP-controlled House of Representatives to approve a $1.2 trillion package of spending bills.
“After today’s embarrassing showing in the house I have reflected and decided that I can no longer be part of the Republican Party,” Santos said on X, formerly known as Twitter. “The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base. I in good conscience cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything.”
Santos announced earlier this month that he was challenging Republican Rep. Nick LaLota in the GOP primary in an eastern Long Island district that is different than the one he represented before he was expelled. Among those vying to be the Democratic candidate for the seat is John Avlon, a former CNN anchor.
In December, Santos became just the sixth member in history to be expelled by fellow House colleagues, following a critical House Ethics Committee report that cited “overwhelming evidence” of lawbreaking by Santos.
Santos has pleaded not guilty to charges including lying to Congress about his wealth, receiving unemployment benefits he didn’t deserve, and using campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing.
A judge has tentatively scheduled the trial for September, after the primary.
Santos, who has admitted to lying about his job experience and college education during his previous campaign, was bashed again Friday by New York Republicans, who also criticized him when he announced his candidacy.
“George Santos’ expulsion from Congress was good for the nation and his resignation from the Republican Party is good for commonsense conservatives,” LaLota said in a statement. “Santos can watch me defend this important swing district and the November election results from his prison cell as he’s being held accountable for stealing an election and ripping off donors.”
Jesse Garcia, the Suffolk County GOP chair, also weighed in.
“This is nothing more than the continuation of George Santos’ need for celebrity status,” Garcia said in a phone interview. “There is no appetite amongst the voters of the First District, Long Island or even the nation for the Santos clown car show to continue.”
In his X postings, Santos criticized LaLota for voting in favor of the spending package.
“ @nicklalota and @JohnAvlon ill see you boys in November!” Santos wrote, ending the tweet with a kissing emoji.
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Will Apple's upgrades handle your multitasking? 5 things to know about the new MacBook Air
- March Madness schedule today: Everything to know about NCAA Tournament games on Thursday
- Bruce Springsteen setlist 2024: Every song he sang at world tour relaunch in Phoenix
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Hungry to win: Jets fan sent Mike Williams breakfast sandwich to persuade him to sign
- Tom Izzo: Automatic bids for mid-major programs in NCAA Tournament 'got to be looked at'
- They may not agree on how to define DEI, but that’s no problem for Kansas lawmakers attacking it
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Tennis Star Aryna Sabalenka Says Her Heart Is Broken After Ex Konstantin Koltsov's Death
Ranking
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- The Top 32 Amazon Beauty Deals on Celeb-Loved Picks: Kyle Richards, Chrishell Stause, Sarah Hyland & More
- Judge says Michael Cohen may have committed perjury, refuses to end his probation early
- Making a restaurant reservation? That'll be $100 — without food or drinks.
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Maryland labor attorney becomes first openly gay judge on 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals
- Chelsea Houska Reveals Why Daughter Aubree May Not Inherit the Family Business
- Conviction reversed for alleged ringleader of plot to kidnap and kill Minnesota real estate agent
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Chipotle’s board has approved a 50-for-1 stock split. Here’s what that means
$6,500 school vouchers coming to Georgia as bill gets final passage and heads to governor
Execution in Georgia: Man to be put to death for 1993 murder of former girlfriend
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Who is Shohei Ohtani's interpreter? Dodgers fire Ippei Mizuhara amid gambling allegations
NFL free agency 2024: Top 20 free agents still available as draft day looms
Who is Brian Peck? Ex-Nickelodeon coach convicted of lewd acts with minor back in spotlight