Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Lahaina's children and their families grapple with an unknown future -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Lahaina's children and their families grapple with an unknown future
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:20:22
In a normal year,NovaQuant the young students at Lahaina’s King Kamehameha III Elementary School would be entering their second month of classes.
Now, all that’s left is a gray hazmat zone filled with the sorrow of what has been lost.
The school, which served around 650 preschool to fifth-graders in the historic West Maui town, burnt down in the wildfires that ravaged the community last month, killing at least 115 people and displacing thousands more.
For Lahaina’s youngest residents – its “keiki” – the fire has completely uprooted their daily routines. They are processing the disaster while dealing with destroyed homes, missing family members and classmates among the deceased.
Myles Verrastro, 6, was about to start his first-grade year at King Kamehameha III, but now his school, along with his home, lie in ashes. Myles and his mom Sarah are sheltered in a hotel just outside of Lahaina.
“I don’t know where we’re going after this. My mom might not find a place after this. We only get a month here,” Myles told ABC News.
Sarah Verrastro managed to get Myles into a new technical school through a lottery, although the makeshift school has not yet been set up.
“They need resources. They need staff,” Verrastro told ABC News. “They need a larger location eventually, if they’re going to accommodate kids that are displaced from the local school. A lot of us don’t know long-term and nor can we even really think long-term. We’re thinking short-term.”
MORE: Families face waiting game in Lahaina back-to-school efforts after Maui wildfires
Myles is one of the lucky children of Lahaina, as thousands of students are still without a school.
Only 1,652 of the 3,000 children from Lahaina have been enrolled in other public schools or distance learning on the island, according to the Hawaii Department of Education.
Ruben Brillantes and his large extended family are all still living in a two-bedroom space far from home just to be near the children’s new schools. There are 27 people who live there, with only one bathroom, Brillantes said.
On weekends, the family travels to the Royal Lahaina resort and two other hotels in West Maui. Brillantes says his 7-year-old nephew Kurt is struggling with being away from home.
“I want everything to be the same in Lahaina, and I miss my school. Or I just miss my friends, that’s all,” Kurt told ABC News.
An emotional Brillantes says there were nine or 10 kids from the neighborhood who used to play on their street every afternoon.
“They can’t do that anymore,” Brillantes said.
On his days off, Brillantes drops off the children at three different schools across the island.
“I've got to be tough because if I'm going to be weak, then my kids is going to be weak, too. So yeah, I don't know. Just be strong every day, all day, every day,” Brillantes said.
Three of the four schools damaged in the Lahaina fire may reopen in mid-October, pending environmental tests.
For Brillantes, schools opening back up raises new concerns about what’s to come.
“When schools open up, I don’t know what’s going to happen because we might get kicked out at my working place. They’re still only allowing us to stay over there until October 31, I think. After that, we don’t know what’s going to happen to us,” Brillantes said.
MORE: Hawaii cultural figures lead community in 'healing' vigil following deadly Maui wildfires
For now, more than 100 of the displaced students are attending Sacred Hearts, one of the few Lahaina schools that is open. After two of its three buildings were destroyed by the fire, principal Tonata Lolesio created a makeshift school in a church just north of Lahaina.
More than half of Lolesio’s 220 students are new to Sacred Hearts after their public schools were damaged in the fire, with 180 more on the waiting list.
Lolesio’s goal is to provide stable learning for the keiki – now the last generation of what was once Lahaina.
“They lost their first home, we had to restore their second home, and because they are the future and our hope for our rebuilding and healing, this is the best we could do for now until we secure a new school here,” Lolesio said.
Dean Wong, head of Imua Family Services, explains the magnitude of this tragedy on children, not just in Lahaina, but all of Maui.
“This is absolutely a trauma. I’m traumatized. You know, something that was here that was a part of our life doesn't exist anymore. And it's just gone. It’s demolished, devastated,” Wong said. “And the pictures of everything – that is also traumatizing. And all of us want to process that differently. Each of us, you and I, as individuals, process trauma and grief, loss, things differently. And that's true with children as well.”
For the keiki all around the island, going back to school has no precedent or timeline. The process has been slow, but families who spoke to ABC News say they’ve already been through the worst.
Back at Sacred Hearts, Lolesio stresses how important children are to the future of the island and its cultures.
“They know the stories of Lahaina before it burnt down. They know our history, our traditions, and our legacies,” she said.
ABC News' Stephanie Wash and Emily Lippiello contributed to this report.
veryGood! (553)
Related
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Naomi Osaka receives US Open wild card as she struggles to regain form after giving birth
- 2nd man charged in 2012 killing of retired Indiana farmer who was shot to death in his home
- 'Truffles is just like me:' How a Pennsylvania cat makes kids feel proud to wear glasses
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Wally Amos, 88, of cookie fame, died at home in Hawaii. He lost Famous Amos but found other success
- Budget-Friendly Dorm Room Decor: Stylish Ideas Starting at $11
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race Global All Stars': Premiere date, cast, where to watch and stream
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Yankees star Aaron Judge becomes fastest player to 300 home runs in MLB history
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Walmart boosts its outlook for 2024 with bargains proving a powerful lure for the inflation weary
- As students return, US colleges brace for a resurgence in activism against the war in Gaza
- Matthew Perry's Stepdad Keith Morrison Shares Gratitude for Justice After Arrest in Death Case
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Ryan Reynolds on his 'complicated' relationship with his dad, how it's changed him
- Justice Department defends Boeing plea deal against criticism by 737 Max crash victims’ families
- Meta kills off misinformation tracking tool CrowdTangle despite pleas from researchers, journalists
Recommendation
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Matthew Perry Investigation: Authorities Reveal How 5 Defendants Took Advantage of Actor's Addiction
Judge tells Google to brace for shakeup of Android app store as punishment for running a monopoly
US unemployment claims fall 7,000 to 227,000 in sign of resiliency in job market
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
J.J. McCarthy's season-ending injury is a setback, but Vikings might find upside
Julianne Hough Shares She Was Sexually Abused at Age 4
Pro-Palestinian protesters who blocked road near Sea-Tac Airport to have charges dropped