Current:Home > ScamsOhio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors -Capitatum
Ohio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 23:51:30
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio court has referred to county prosecutors a criminal case brought by a citizens’ group against the Republican presidential and vice presidential candidates over their comments about Haitian immigrants but rejected the group’s call to issue arrest warrants or misdemeanor summons.
Springfield officials said in a statement Saturday that the Clark County municipal court found no probable cause to issue warrants or summons on misdemeanor charges against former president Donald Trump and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance. “The matter was then referred to the Clark County prosecutor’s office for further investigation,” city officials said.
The Springfield News-Sun reports that the judicial panel said particular consideration should be given to “the strong constitutional protections afforded to speech, and political speech in particular” with the election so close and the “contentious” nature of the issue of immigration.
The Haitian Bridge Alliance, a nonprofit group representing the Haitian community, last month invoked a private-citizen right to file charges over the chaos and threats experienced since Trump first spread false claims about legal immigrants there during a presidential debate.
“Their persistence and relentlessness, even in the face of the governor and the mayor saying this is false, that shows intent,” said the group’s attorney, Subodh Chandra of the Cleveland-based Chandra Law Firm. “It’s knowing, willful flouting of criminal law.”
Steven Cheung of the Trump-Vance campaign said the former president was “rightfully highlighting the failed immigration system that (Vice President) Kamala Harris has overseen, bringing thousands of illegal immigrants pouring into communities like Springfield and many others across the country.”
The 15,000 to 20,000 Haitian immigrants who have arrived in Springfield over the past several years — in many cases after being recruited to local jobs — have been granted “temporary protected status” to be in the U.S. legally.
“It is crucial to foster discussions around sensitive issues, particularly those concerning immigration, with a commitment to truth and integrity,” Springfield officials said. The city said it was “dedicated to promoting constructive dialogue and addressing community concerns transparently” and added that “the safety and well-being of all residents, including the Haitian immigrant community, continue to be our highest priority.”
veryGood! (49)
Related
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Ørsted pulls out of billion-dollar project to build wind turbines off New Jersey coast
- 911 call shows man suspected in plan to attack Colorado amusement park was found dead near a ride
- US Marshals releases its first report on shootings by officers
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- New Jersey governor spent $12K on stadium events, including a Taylor Swift concert
- Bracy, Hatcher first Democrats to announce bids for revamped congressional district in Alabama
- Baton Rouge police officer arrested in deadly crash, allegedly ran red light at 79 mph
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Kim Kardashian's Son Saint West Debuts Buzzed Hair and Tattoo Look for Halloween
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Conservative Nebraska lawmakers push study to question pandemic-era mask, vaccine requirements
- See Maddie Ziegler and Dance Moms Stars Reunite to Celebrate Paige Hyland's Birthday
- Chic and Practical Ways to Store Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Pope Francis says he’ll spend 3 days in Dubai for COP28 climate conference
- Dunkin': How you can get free donuts on Wednesdays and try new holiday menu items
- Montana’s psychiatric hospital is poorly run and neglect has hastened patient deaths, lawsuit says
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
North Carolina State Auditor Beth Wood says she won’t seek reelection in 2024, in a reversal
ESPN's Stephen A. Smith had a chance to stand up to the NFL. Instead, he capitulated.
A section of the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed after visitors allegedly try to hold a young bear
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Model Athenna Crosby Speaks Out About Final Meeting With Matthew Perry One Day Before His Death
Jury selected after almost 10 months for rapper Young Thug’s trial on gang, racketeering charges
McDonald's, Chipotle to raise prices in California as minimum wage increases for workers