Current:Home > InvestThe Albanian opposition disrupts a Parliament vote on the budget with flares and piled-up chairs -Capitatum
The Albanian opposition disrupts a Parliament vote on the budget with flares and piled-up chairs
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:27:06
TIRANA, Albania (AP) — Albanian opposition lawmakers disrupted the Parliament’s session again on Monday to protest against what they say is increasingly authoritarian rule by the governing Socialists.
Democratic lawmakers lit flares and piled chairs on top of each other in the middle of the hall the minute Prime Minister Edi Rama took his seat to vote on next year’s budget. A cordon of bodyguards stopped opposition lawmakers from getting near the seats of the Cabinet.
The left-wing Socialists, who hold 73 seats in the 140-seat Parliament, made a quick vote in principle and closed the session in 5 minutes. A debate on each budget item is expected later this week.
One of the flares sparked a small fire, that was extinguished by opposition lawmakers.
The opposition wants to create parliamentary investigative commissions to probe alleged cases of corruption involving Rama and other top government officials.
The Socialists say the opposition’s requests are not in line with constitutional requirements.
Gazmend Bardhi, one of the opposition lawmakers, said they would not allow the Parliament to carry out its normal work.
“Our battle is to show to each citizen that this is not the Parliament representing them,” he said.
But Bledi Cuci, head of the Socialists’ parliamentary grouping, urged Albanians to note that the Parliament was approving the largest budget ever, and twice the size of 2013 when the Socialists came to power.
“In democracy, the opposition speaks with alternatives and not with flares,” he added.
The disturbances first started last month, two days before prosecutors accused Sali Berisha, former prime minister and president for the Democratic Party, of corruption over of a land-buying scheme that’s now under legal investigation in the capital, Tirana.
The prosecutors allege the 79-year-old Berisha granted financial favors to his son-in-law, who was arrested. Berisha has said that they are both innocent, and claims the case is politically motivated and that his opponent, Rama, is behind it.
Bardhi said the opposition would radicalize its protests but did not elaborate.
The opposition has been divided into at least three groupings since 2021 when Berisha and his family members were barred by the United States from entering the country, and later also the United Kingdom, because of alleged involvement in corruption. Berisha is the fourth top Albanian official to be barred from entering the U.S. on grounds of corruption.
Post-communist Albania has struggled to fight corruption, which has impeded the country’s democratic, economic and social development.
___
Follow Llazar Semini at https://twitter.com/lsemini
veryGood! (541)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Remains of Green River Killer's 49th and last known victim identified as teen Tammie Liles — but other cases still unsolved
- Mexico’s Yucatan tourist train sinks pilings into relic-filled limestone caves, activists show
- eBay to lay off 1,000 workers as tech job losses continue in the new year
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Mark Ruffalo Shares How He Predicted a Past Benign Brain Tumor
- Mark Ruffalo Shares How He Predicted a Past Benign Brain Tumor
- North Dakota judge won’t block part of abortion law doctors say puts them at risk of prosecution
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- A pastor and a small Ohio city tussle over the legality of his 24/7 homeless ministry
Ranking
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- The Best Rotating Curling Irons of 2024 That Are Fool-Proof and Easy to Use
- Mexico’s Yucatan tourist train sinks pilings into relic-filled limestone caves, activists show
- WWE’s ‘Raw’ is moving to Netflix next year in a major streaming deal worth more than $5 billion
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Charles Osgood, CBS host on TV and radio and network’s poet-in-residence, dies at age 91
- The 2024 Oscar nominations were announced: Here's a look at who made the list
- Super Bowl 58 officiating crew: NFL announces team for 2024 game in Las Vegas
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Chicago Bears hire Seattle Seahawks' Shane Waldron as their offensive coordinator
Mississippi governor wants lawmakers to approve incentives for new economic development project
Illinois shootings leave 8 people killed; suspect dead of self-inflicted gunshot in Texas, police say
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Ryan Gosling Calls Out Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig’s Barbie Oscars Snubs
Drone the size of a bread slice may allow Japan closer look inside damaged Fukushima nuclear plant
US strikes three facilities in Iraq following attacks on American forces by Iran-backed militias