Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:25:04
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (64965)
Related
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- The Excerpt podcast: E-bikes are everywhere. Can we navigate with them safely?
- New York City is suing charter bus companies for transporting migrants from Texas
- Lululemon founder says brand isn't for everyone: 'You don’t want certain customers coming in'
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Mary Poppins Actress Glynis Johns Dead at 100
- U.S. Mint issues commemorative coins celebrating Harriet Tubman. Here's what they look like.
- Pro Bowl 2024 rosters announced: 49ers lead way with nine NFL all-star players
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- A return to the moon and a rare eclipse among 5 great space events on the horizon in 2024
Ranking
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- A German who served time for a high-profile kidnapping is convicted over armed robberies
- Bachelor Nation's Brayden Bowers and Christina Mandrell Get Engaged at Golden Bachelor Wedding
- Former Harvard president Claudine Gay speaks out about her resignation in New York Times op-ed
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Jeffrey Epstein contact names released by court. Here are key takeaways from the unsealed documents.
- Farmers prevent Germany’s vice chancellor leaving a ferry in a protest that draws condemnation
- Former Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer says he's grown up, not having casual sex anymore
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
'Elvis Evolution': Elvis Presley is back, as a hologram, in new virtual reality show
New York City seeks $708 million from bus companies for transporting migrants from Texas
Convicted murderer Garry Artman interviewed on his deathbed as Michigan detectives investigate unsolved killings
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
AP Week in Pictures: North America
Father, son in Texas arrested in murder of pregnant teen Savanah Soto and boyfriend
Jets QB Aaron Rodgers reaches new low with grudge-filled attack on Jimmy Kimmel