Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 09:22:48
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (555)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Every WNBA team to begin using charter flights by May 21
- Is a taco a sandwich? Indiana judge issues a ruling after yearslong restaurant debate
- Slovakia's Prime Minister Robert Fico in stable but still very serious condition after assassination attempt
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Dow hits 40,000 for the first time as bull market accelerates
- Disability rights advocate says state senator with violent history shoved him at New York Capitol
- CW exec 'very concerned' about Miss USA Pageant allegations, mulls breaking TV contract
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Federal agency takes control of investigation of fiery train derailment in New Mexico
Ranking
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Biden asserts executive privilege over recording of interview with special counsel demanded by House Republicans
- Why Sarah Paulson Says Not Living With Holland Taylor Is the Secret to Their Romance
- Rain, cooler temperatures help prevent wildfire near Canada’s oil sands from growing
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- They survived Maui's deadly wildfires. Now many are suffering from food insecurity and deteriorating health.
- Kim’s sister denies North Korea has supplied weapons to Russia
- 'It Ends with Us' trailer: Blake Lively falls in love in Colleen Hoover novel adaptation
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Elle King Gives Full Story Behind Drunken Dolly Parton Tribute and Sobbing in Dressing Room After
A new South Africa health law aims at deep inequality, but critics say they’ll challenge it
California’s water tunnel to cost $20 billion. State officials say the benefits are worth it
How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
A new South Africa health law aims at deep inequality, but critics say they’ll challenge it
Iowa center called police nearly 1,000 times in 3 years before teen killed staffer, records show
Biden marks Brown v. Board of Education anniversary amid signs of erosion in Black voter support