Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 23:11:29
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (59)
Related
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Georgia's rural Black voters helped propel Democrats before. Will they do it again?
- Today’s Climate: June 8, 2010
- Prince Andrew Wears Full Royal Regalia, Prince Harry Remains in a Suit at King Charles III's Coronation
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- The economics behind 'quiet quitting' — and what we should call it instead
- Inside Princess Anne's Unique Royal World
- Revamp Your Spring Wardrobe With 85% Off Deals From J.Crew
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Prince Harry Reunites With Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie at King Charles III's Coronation
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Prince Louis Yawning at King Charles III's Coronation Is a Total Mood
- PGA Tour and LIV Golf to merge, ending disruption and distraction and antitrust lawsuit
- Thawing Arctic Permafrost Hides a Toxic Risk: Mercury, in Massive Amounts
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Remember that looming recession? Not happening, some economists say
- PGA Tour and LIV Golf to merge, ending disruption and distraction and antitrust lawsuit
- Human Rights Campaign declares state of emergency for LGBTQ+ Americans
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
The economics behind 'quiet quitting' — and what we should call it instead
How Kate Middleton Honored Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana at Coronation
All the Jaw-Dropping Fascinators Worn to King Charles III’s Coronation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Today’s Climate: June 7, 2010
Wehrum Resigns from EPA, Leaving Climate Rule Rollbacks in His Wake
Family Dollar recalls Colgate products that were improperly stored