Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 00:36:41
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (72649)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Fueled by hat controversy Europe win Ryder Cup to extend USA's overseas losing streak
- Tell us your favorite Olivia Rodrigo 'Guts' song and we'll tell you what book to read
- Tim Wakefield, who revived his career and Red Sox trophy case with knuckleball, has died at 57
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Yes, Pete Davidson's Dating History Was Stacked Well Before He Was Linked to Madelyn Cline
- Nebraska is imposing a 7-day wait for trans youth to start gender-affirming medications
- Arizona’s biggest city has driest monsoon season since weather service began record-keeping in 1895
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- The Dolphins are the NFL's hottest team. The Bills might actually have an answer for them.
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- NASCAR Talladega playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for YellaWood 500
- Ryan Blaney edges Kevin Harvick at Talladega, advances to third round of NASCAR playoffs
- Calgary Flames executive Chris Snow dies at 42 after defying ALS odds for years
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- 'New normal': High number of migrants crossing border not likely to slow
- NASCAR Talladega playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for YellaWood 500
- The UK defense secretary suggests British training of Ukrainian soldiers could move into Ukraine
Recommendation
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
Grant program for Black women entrepreneurs blocked by federal appeals court
New York Mets manager Buck Showalter not returning in 2024 after disappointing season
Why you should read these 51 banned books now
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
Yes, Pete Davidson's Dating History Was Stacked Well Before He Was Linked to Madelyn Cline
Jimmy Carter turns 99 at home with Rosalynn and other family as tributes come from around the world
Armenia accuses Azerbaijan of ethnic cleansing in Nagorno-Karabakh region as 65,000 forcefully displaced