Current:Home > MyCrewmember dies in accident on set of Marvel’s ‘Wonder Man’ -Capitatum
Crewmember dies in accident on set of Marvel’s ‘Wonder Man’
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 00:28:45
STUDIO CITY, Calif. (AP) — A crewmember who was working on the Marvel Studios series “Wonder Man” died following an accident on set Tuesday morning at CBS Radford Studios in Studio City.
The man, whose name was not made public, was a rigger who fell from the rafters, according to the trade publication Deadline, which first reported the news.
“Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with his family and friends, and our support is behind the investigation into the circumstances of this accident,” a Marvel spokesperson said in a statement.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, will be the investigating body.
Matthew D. Loeb, president of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, said the labor union was shocked and saddened.
“We are working to support our member’s family, and his fellow members and colleagues,” Loeb said in a statement. “Safety on set is our highest priority and we will assist Cal/OSHA in their investigation in any way that we can.”
While crew injuries and deaths on film and television sets have historically been underreported, there have been several fatalities in recent years that have resulted in high-profile lawsuits and calls for industry reforms.
They include the 2021 fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the movie “Rust,” when a gun that actor Alec Baldwin was pointing at her went off, and the 2014 death of Sarah Jones, a 27-year-old camera assistant killed in a train accident on the set of the movie “Midnight Rider.”
Between 1990 and 2014, at least 43 people died on sets in the U.S. and more than 150 were left with life-altering injuries, according to a 2016 report by The Associated Press. Those numbers were derived by combing through data from workplace and aviation safety investigations, court records and news accounts.
Filming is set to begin next month on “Wonder Man,” which stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and was delayed by last year’s dual Hollywood strikes.
veryGood! (31)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Watch Messi play tonight with Argentina vs. Bolivia: Time, how to stream online
- 5 former Memphis officers charged in Tyre Nichols death now face federal charges
- 5 former Memphis officers charged in Tyre Nichols death now face federal charges
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- School bus driver suspected of not yielding before crash that killed high school student in car
- Watch Messi play tonight with Argentina vs. Bolivia: Time, how to stream online
- Columbus Blue Jackets coach Mike Babcock, Boone Jenner dispute privacy violation accusation
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Even Taylor Swift Can't Help But Fangirl Over *NSYNC at the MTV VMAs
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Nebraska's Matt Rhule says he meant no disrespect toward Deion Sanders, Colorado in rival game
- Remains of U.S. WWII pilot who never returned from bombing mission identified with DNA
- Slave descendants vow to fight on after Georgia county approves larger homes for island enclave
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Bosnian police arrest 5 ex-Serb troops suspected of participating in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre
- In recording, a Seattle police officer joked after woman’s death. He says remarks were misunderstood
- Former top Trump aide Mark Meadows seeks pause of court order keeping criminal case in Fulton County court
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
2023 MTV VMAs: The Complete List of Winners
Google faces federal regulators in biggest antitrust trial in decades
Updated Ford F-150 gets new grille, other features as Ford shows it off on eve of Detroit auto show
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
Journalist sues NFL, alleging discrimination and racially charged statements by NFL owners
Former NFL receiver Mike Williams dies at age 36 after more than a week in intensive care
Women, doctors announce legal action against abortion bans in 3 states